bradyn

Do you need help setting up tanks for African Cichlids

If you need help setting up a African tank setup read this Thread,

First of all pick a good tank size to suit your fish (most Africans are good in a 4x2x2 but don't overstock)

Filling your tank with water is the next thing (it is best to put 1/2 a teaspoon of Epsom salts, 1/2 a teaspoon of Sea salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of bi-carb soda per 20 liters in your aquarium, This will help to get the conditions of the water to the closest water conditions in Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika)

If there is any more help you need feel free to ask a question.

Lake Malawi and lake Tanganyika have different water parameters so I think you need to make different amounts of salts and additives for each.

Also different temperatures.

Maybe some more research is needed.

Cheers mick

So I put my tropical fish(Africans) into a cold Un-established tank without any chlorine neutralizer or filtration? How long before they die from ammonia poisoning or Ich... I wonder?

I think perhaps the intent was right but the topic became a bit oversimplified.

In view of ensuring the best information, I would take what smicko said about the differences between chemistry very seriously. The chemistry of lake Malawi is pretty boring, Clacium Carbonates and a little other stuff. Lake Tang has real interesting chemistry, that is a lot harder to get a good replicate off. That is why Malawi is easy and I cannot suggest DIy when products like this are available so cheap from our sponsors.

Start Right 5Kg African Cichlid Rift Lake Salt

also Aquasonic make a great cheap product perfect for Malawi cichlids.

For Lake Tang due to the complexity of the water, I tend to like the commercial salts for completeness. I like that Seachem is targeted at the interesting Lake (look on the side of the bottle). The Aquapics is getting some good reviews, but I cannot recommend as I cannot get any data from them as to what is in it .....

In summary I would say the interesting salts in Lake Tang compared with the boring salts in Lake Malawi make it more of a challenge. Which is why the more interesting fish come from Lake Tanganyika...

I don't think the intent was there. To start a thread with such bad advice is irresponsible. I think this goes back to the thread about quality fish and where this forum is heading

Of course you set your tank up like you would with any other fish live plants or bubbler, filter, and the rocks and sand, 50 % weekly water changes, but each time you add the salts and soda.

Of course you set your tank up like you would with any other fish live plants or bubbler, filter, and the rocks and sand, 50 % weekly water changes, but each time you add the salts and soda.

Still not great advice. Mathematics of this is wrong as if you take out 50% of the water and it contains less than 50% of the salt you put in previously. By rights you should only put over 50% of the salts back in. Not the same amount for hundred of the water. Otherwise after repeated water changes you going to increase the salt levels in the tank beyond a safe level. The fish dont consume as much as you think in one week. I suggest a chemestry lesson is required so as to identify what these salts are doing to the tank. Bi carb soda or sodium bicarbinate is one of the most regular ingrediants in all you ph up products. So unless you want really high ph it should be used only as required. Not just throw so many teaspoons in because my tank is x amount of litres.

I know your only trying to help but you need to understand what your saying first. It will go a long way to your creditability without being given flack on a public forum.

Will let u find out what magnesium sulfate does to you aquarium water.

Mods I think the thread needs to be changed to 'I need help setting up tanks for African cichlids' or 'Am I taking the P#ss!!!'

-You Can't be serious bud....and if you are pls do a bit more research before giving advice..

this is a result of the "black out" we need donny back online. The forum seems to have been quite since he pulled the internet cable on his move.

"this is a result of the "black out"

lmao i love your sense of humour Mr. Alligator.

This forum needs more members like you!!

I hope that is the only thing [MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION]onthemove is pulling!!!

All is not lost we still have [MENTION=506]aquaholic[/MENTION]winston99 sharing his vast knowledge.

Edited by mbunamad
thinking thinking....... s h i t i forget

This method still is not going to work for both lakes as they both have a different mineral make up

The point is that you shouldn't add salts for the sake of it unless you understand what they are doing. Also water evaporates salt doesn't so if 10% evaporates and you take 40% out then add salts for 50% the salt level has gone up, keep repeating this and it's bad for your fish.

Also every area has a different amount of dissolved minerals in the water supply so you could be adding something that's not needed and missing something that is needed depending on your local water supply.

I know alot of people that have bred and kept africans and never used this method without testing what the water is like to start with.

Lastly, take advice from people that know better and have been breeding and keeping fish for longer than we care to remember, hellboy for instance has more types of fish at the moment than most people would have in a lifetime.

Cheers mick

Edited by smicko

Thanks to everyone for the help

I Got this information off an old fish breeder who must have had his day then stuffed up his information

I better fix up all my tanks

Bit of advice, if your going to go change all your water parameters, for the sake of the fish health please do it gradually over a week or so.