I know it works for treating live stock, but could the same process be successful on say a piece of timber from a creek? Like if you were to soak it for a day or two in salt you reckon it would kill all the freshwater parasites bugs snails etc to a point that it would basically be a sterile bit of wood so to speak....

Thoughts?

It might work after several weeks but some things will adapt to the salt so i would boil it thoroughly for first preference or a strong chlorine soak for a few weeks as second option but that method needs plenty of washing out after. I have had mysterious fish die offs from not sterilizing things enough and once something is introduced it can be a major pain to fix up, even the anti parasitic medications don't always work, what ever you do don't just chuck it in because it looks good, you probably will regret it. I have had pieces that have been sitting on the roof dying out for months after a quick boil and still got a snail invasion. It's like they almost can't be sterile enough, not the sort of thing to try and rush.

The fish that are from the same creek the woods from so not to worried about it affecting there health, just wanna kill off any snails etc that may be hiding in it to prevent any possible infestation. I was thinking of a bag of pool salt in a wheely bin would be a pretty potent salt bath... Be surprised if anything survived that sort of salinity.

The snail eggs might still survive the salt soak so if you can get them to hatch first and get the water warm enough beforehand most of the critters might be at a stage where the salt can take care of them. Those eggs can be hard to get rid of so a good gerni first or a good scrubbing would be a good idea. The eggs might hatch better if there was no salt to begin with. I have had driftwood sitting in a esky for weeks and no snails(water straight out of hose) but put it in a tank(de chlorinated) with the heater on and after a few days there are millions of them, try and get them to hatch first.

I've used potassium permanganate and bleach before (on separate occasions) without any issues. Just make sure you give it a good rinse and soak with neutraliser after.

Will snail eggs survive if left out of water for a few weeks to let it all dry out, wanna avoid chemicals

I guess using chlorine it would kill everything and then all you'd have to do is soak it again a couple of times in fresh water with a heavy dose of neutralizer. Got a big container of seachem safe so might give it a go, cheers.