Sign in to follow this  
Ryan220587

New setup slowly under way...

Hi guys,

Nice to be here yet again,

We have finally found a house (unconfirmed but looking promising!) so going to be moving out soon, to Indooroopilly...

So I have decided I would get my 6' setup happening. I started with just the cabinet, and have settled on a 6 x 18 x 18 tank, I won't be going any bigger or smaller than this for a while.

I purchased the tank off Trigger (AMAZING job mate, thanks), and while it cures I am thinking about what I want to do for filtration - I am very tempted to go for a sumped setup.

So I will kick it off with a few teasers, and hopefully get more pics up as it progresses...The pics don't do it justice:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind comments :)

I really don't know what I will do with it yet, I really like the whole planted setup thing, currently looking into different substrates for a more serious planted setup, but I still have much research to do. I am even considering practicing a planted setup in a smaller tank, similarly to some of the cherry shrimp setups in the tank shot thread.

As for livestock, anything that is small and placid, like various tetras - neons, rummynose, rosy tetras etc...

Ryan

Hey Ryan, looks like you will have fun thinking of ideas for your new tank and looks like it was wonderfully made. Just out of curiosity, how much did this tank cost you? PM the price if you want. I'm just looking at downsizing from my 6x2x2 as it is a pain when it comes to moving house. Looking for something of similar size maybe smaller.

Cheers,

Dizzy.

looks good ryan. go the planted tank idea hey. big planted setups look mad but will need good lights to work.

can wait to see what you do.

also nice tank trigger. looks the goods mate. :)

Ohh yes. it's the goods :)

I will probably save up and get a fairly good light, and maybe even look into CO2 but as stated earlier, wanna trial it on a cheaper tank first.

Ryan

Looking good mate!

6x18x18 is a great size (not to big and not to small) Still easy to move but not greatly limited to what you can keep in there.

Keep us updated :)

yeahn you can do that dude.

im sure you wont have much of a proplem going straight on the 6ft.

you know whats the go dude.

its not that hard fish produce CO2 plants eat it.lol and give off O2 fish breath it.lol.

its all good. bahahaha.

keep us updated dude.

Will keep you all updated :)

I have been looking here: http://www.accenthydroponics.com/ecom1/ ... y175_1.htm

And I am strongly considering a bag of aquaclay, about $140 delivered. That would basically be my substrate sorted. Gives the tank a really natural look too.

Let me know if you think that would be a suitable ground base! Note, cost is not a huge issue here. I do like the idea of fluorite, but i don't think it would give as much of a natural look...

Ryan

Hey Ryan, you obviously didn't bite regarding my suggestions of a bigger tank, knowing how meticulous you are about all your choices, I thought I would wind you up a little. I must say honestly the tank looks great and I'm sure you will do a good job on it.

Mate, I was always under the impression that the clay was used as a filter media in sumps more so then in tanks. And I believe that the properties of these sort of products are also questionable in that application http://www.reefs.org/library/article/mm_analysis.html

I would just hate to see you blow a whole heap of cash on something that is not worth it. For that size tank, I would think you might need more then 10kg/litres also?

Just some food for thought.

Hi Ryan,

Your tank looks awesome mate. Kinda makes me wish i got a tank from Trigger :lol:. I was seriously thinking about getting one from him but i decided with the rounded front tank. I should have some pics up of my new setup soon, looks awesome with the cali carb cheers.

Cheers Sean

Hi Sean,

Good to hear from you mate :)

Can't wait to see yours with the rounded front, should be nice!

Also glad that the calcium carb is working out for you. Did you get it swapped over for the right stuff or sell it off?

Ryan

Yeah it looks really good with the rounded front. Nah didn't end up swapping it, i tried selling it but no one wanted it, but i got a mate wanting to buy it so thats good. I ended up getting some more white cali carb but i could only get 3mm stuff it blends in pretty good with the 1mm cali carb.

Cheers Sean

Mate, I was always under the impression that the clay was used as a filter media in sumps more so then in tanks. And I believe that the properties of these sort of products are also questionable in that application http://www.reefs.org/library/article/mm_analysis.html

This is why I am still looking into the Fluorite. You just KNOW that Seachem make a quality product, and the amount of research that goes into their products is often reflected in the price...

Yeah, I agree. I have never bought a bad seachem product. I noticed that the reef shop has it for $45 for a 7kg bag, which makes it seeming the more cost effective then the other clay you were looking at. Don't know how many bags you will need though? 3...4? :? still getting pricey hey.

Yeah, I saw that too...but it's constantly sold out. I will keep an eye on it and see if they get in more stock - but yeah, definitely the way to go if I can get it at that price. I am thinking I will need 4 bags, which brings the price under $200

Ryan

hey dude i reakon you will need more like 6-8 bags for your tank ryan. how deep you want to go? if you want to go the planted you will need 2inch all over for roots to grab hold of.

whats wrong with sand? eaasy to clean. :)

Ryan i have used Aquaclay in my 6x2x2 and it looks great,before i tore it apart to move,it was a heavily aqua scape tank all plants where amazonian type plants lots of wood etc

I used 100kilos of the stuff but it is easy to rinse,i used a pool skimmer to wash the aquaclay

This time i am going the minimalist approach and used more rock, some corkscrew val and 1 long piece of driftwood

I will post some photos when i am finished,i setup a 2ft tank on the weekend and used sand for the first time,play sand from Bunnings and it came up really nice..the sand is very white and very cheap,just a little harder to wash..once again a few rocks and 1 piece of driftwood,no plants

Hope this hasn,t confused you even more..but i can see where your coming from,and you wan,t to do it right first time

Cheers,Barry

Sign in to follow this