Sign in to follow this  
mitch-91

shrimp vs fish

shrimp can die easy.... they also only live for 12-18 months! if you want high quality they will cost you minimum of $10 each all the way up to $500 for the worlds best!

shrimp keeping comes with less filter maintenance & cheaper filtration start up costs, - not to mention minimal costs on everything being down sized, no heating bills - however, a chiller may have to replace heating for 6 months of the year.

in saying all that..... what you see in this set up cost me $230.00 + the shrimp mineral and shrimp crack! + 10 snow whites $430.00 and its complete.

post-12044-14711633423725_thumb.jpg

hey mate thanks for the reply. i have a standard 2 ft tank that has a heater and filter already in it, black gravel and a red lava rock with some ferns and another sword plant.

so i do not need a heater? would this work for now? as im going down to pick up 40 cherries later today and dont want them to die on me haha.

hey mate thanks for the reply. i have a standard 2 ft tank that has a heater and filter already in it, black gravel and a red lava rock with some ferns and another sword plant.

so i do not need a heater? would this work for now? as im going down to pick up 40 cherries later today and dont want them to die on me haha.

ditch the heater.... they live between 18-24/26.

cherrys are pretty hardy... especially queenslandised ones.

Hey mitch-91 if you are only going to keep cherries then this will be ok, temp around 25-26c, ph 7.4-7.8, TDS around 300, make sure you have zero Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites a shrimps worst enemy. This is about where i keep mine and they breed continuously. Will need a chiller if you go into crystals etc. Good luck.

hey thanks aquatic7, im wanting them to breed so then i can add some to my catfish bn pleco 4ft tank to help clean up the mess haha. if you ever have any for sale let me know as ill be looking for more and more until i feel i have enough :P plus to get them localy is a bonus im driving down to newmarket to pick mine up today haha

I've found cherries to be quite hardy. Had ten of them in a small tank with no heater and filter, which turned to hundreds within a year or so before transferring them to a bigger tank. I have some small plants in the tank with them and big weekly water changes.

If your dropping 20 - 30% of the water out every week out of a cycled tank, a heater at the right temp, the right fish that are compatible with each other and tank size you shouldn't have a problem imo. What fish were you keeping, how big is your tank and were you doing all of the above?

What fish are you/were you keeping mate? I would think the fish you had a very sensative to ammonia and nitrites and the addition of an external canister filter might be what you need. It is only a 2ft tank so i wouldn't have thought it was needed but it is a thought. If you have a water testing kit that would be helpful when/if you have a problem. Does your pump aerate your water?

Edited by matt1985

have a 4ft tank which i didnt touch for 6 - 7 months. only had 3 fish in it and about 5 cherries, no heater, no filter, no light and no water changes for that long. cleaned out the tank of all algae and plants and re did everything.

still have 4 cherries, yeah they didnt breed but they didnt die lol.

u can also go into yellows but u would want to remove the cherries as they can interbreed and u will lose their yellow colour.

Sign in to follow this