im considering buying an insulated (ex coolroom/refrigerated) shipping container and reporposing it as a fishroom. does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? temps etc of the actual room

Thats a great Idea. I have toyed with the idea of an ex refer container for a fish room, when we buy acreage. I reckon it would make a great room, prefer a 40 ft though. Plenty of em out there just shop around. I would add whirly birds with closable ceiling vents and floor vents for not only the summer heat, but for the humidity that you will get from the tanks. The last thing you want is a mouldy fish room.

[MENTION=89]borntobreed[/MENTION] is the man you should try and pick his brain. Had a good container set up.

Blower at the end if I remember correctly.

basically im wanting to know what the temps get like during summer. im happy to run vents, and whirly birds on the top but not really keen on having aircon running in it full time.

i sorta want it too be a mancave type of things. rather than full of fishtanks would have a couple display tanks. etc

Edited by fishguy23

Not sure on containers but I build coldrooms/wine rooms and alike I can assure you with out some good form of AC ,ventaltion,dehumidifier it will get warm and steamy real quick.. imo

so will a couple of whirly birds on top? as well as some form of ventilation work?

im happy to get a wall mount ac unit but dont want it running 24/7 during the warmer months.

ideally id like the inside of the room to stay under 30c in summer.

Depending on the rating of said container but it's the heat produced bye stuff inside not the summer weather... If you have pumps , lights and alike the heat from them will not escape

Birds and an AC should do the trick

Depending on the rating of said container but it's the heat produced bye stuff inside not the summer weather... If you have pumps , lights and alike the heat from them will not escape

Birds and an AC should do the trick

I would add closable venting into the lower parts of the container in combination with the whirlybirds as you need to draw fresh air in to the space to help draft the hot air out of the space. The same way you need eve vents to clear the hot air from the roof space when you have birds fitted. Have them closed off in winter. However you will still need some ventilation in winter to draw out heat and humidity.

I would also suggest you use the best quality whirly birds with good quality bearings. CSR have a brand called Edmonds that you can buy at Bunnings that are very good. They make a clear perspex bird that is very good. It is used primarily to bring in natural light to the roof space and discourage vermin and termites. I don't know what you keep, but if it was me I would add these for the natural light so that my rainbows could use the morning light to spawn.

No worries, it seems like a go-er then.

Il be keeping marines in it so will have a chiller that vents straight out of the wall, il add a door near the main set of doors so i dont need to open up the whole container, and im considering putting in a couple of solar tubes over the tank.

I figured painting the outside white should reduce absorbed heat even more

No worries, it seems like a go-er then.

Il be keeping marines in it so will have a chiller that vents straight out of the wall, il add a door near the main set of doors so i dont need to open up the whole container, and im considering putting in a couple of solar tubes over the tank.

I figured painting the outside white should reduce absorbed heat even more

Ah that is an idea, you can go one step further and get heat reflective paint. With marines I guess you don't want to chance it, go as thermodynamically efficient as you can get. Every little bit will help. The sum of the parts and all that.

Hey guys if you want some idea of what I do with my container have a look at my facebook page Blue Angel Aquatics has some recent photos of what I have been doing feel free to ask questions. the whole container is dedicated to breeding angelfish. have had insulated sheds etc but this works the best cost effective as far as im concerned

Hey guys if you want some idea of what I do with my container have a look at my facebook page Blue Angel Aquatics has some recent photos of what I have been doing feel free to ask questions. the whole container is dedicated to breeding angelfish. have had insulated sheds etc but this works the best cost effective as far as im concerned

I have got a 7.5 mtr ins container high cube that's been running for 18 months ..it stays quite cool,when it warms up,I leave the doors open,and I have installed a window where the a/c was,about 2x1mtr.To heat I use an oil bar heater,it dries out any humidity works great.Have got a 40' insulated container setting up for growout.Will be using an a/c for it.I will post some pics next time ....had some issues with neighbours calling council,so we used proper footings so we can have it certified if it goes any further.A highcube container is way better for height and climate control..we have a ceiling fan for air circulation..can't fit in other container..ceiling to low..Another thing to consider is tank sizes..We have three rows..can get a bit squeezy,and we use 300mm deep tanks..insulated containers are narrower than standard units..Another thing is they are fibreglass construction,and will probably leak,may need a roof.The floors are slotted steel with 30mm gaps..I used 16 mm 2.4x1.2 mtr film ply boards to line floor..seems to take weight of racks,but use 75mm plate under feet of rack .need more suggestions call...I am building a contaner home next year as well...love 'em

oh and mine is full steel construction not fiberglass and the same dimensions as a highcube and not done any mods apart from drill a hole for the power to go in

where can I buy 1 of these?

[MENTION=323]fishking[/MENTION] Hey Kev I think a member of this forum [MENTION=4392]Bundy1[/MENTION] works with containers.

Send him a PM.