Sign in to follow this  
clementson

parents eating eggs after 2 days. solutions?

I've got a pair of discus eating their eggs after 2 days. They have laid 3 times, once in a community tank and twice in a separate breeding tank. I'd like to know what the best course of action is other than just letting nature take its course.

I've seen online a lot of people recommend using mesh or chicken wire to protect the eggs or taking out the female on the 2nd day as she's likely to be the one eating the eggs or leaving a light on in the room.

Ph is 6.5. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0. Temp is 29.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tristan

Hey Tristan, I've got a pair doing the same but don't want to intervene, they're young and from everything I've read they will get it. Is it both of them eating the eggs? Does it look like the eggs have been fertilised or are they turning opaque prior?

Make sure they're in a quiet area and aren't getting spooked. Leave a moon light on for them overnight so they can still see the eggs.

Hope they work it out soon!

I have 2 pair of Penang's doing the same thing. Mine are still around the 1 year old mark, so still a bit young. They will eventually get it :)

You can artificially hatch and raise away from parents by feeding with egg yolk if your up for a challenge. Jack Wattley was the first to do this commercially. I did it many years ago out of curiosity.

Well they just laid eggs again. This time I've left a little bit of light on them at night. I'll look into the 'extreme egg yolk challenge' but thats sounding pretty full on. This is only their 2nd time having a 'crack' at it in a breeding tank... They would around 18-20 months og age

My second pair eat the fry when they become free swimming and start trying to attach to the parents. Yesterday's spawn is there last chance to "get it right" before they go back in to a group tank and I move my third pair in to a breeding tank.

I've had 2 more spawns since my original post. Like clockwork. They lay eggs, 2 days later they eat the eggs, next day I clean the tank and the day after they've laid again. Ph has been a stable 6.5 for weeks now. Should i drop it lower? I've noticed roughly 1 quarter of the eggs go white after the first day and maybe half go white by the time they all get eaten on day 2. They seem a bit more aggressive to each other this time around.

Did any of the eggs turn dark after two days, have you seen any wrigglers off the cone yet? Maybe you have two females?

I wouldn't mess around with the Ph level, too much as long it consistent it's fine (mine breed at 7.5). If the only half the eggs get getting fertilized, (not turning white), usually means the parents are getting interrupted during spawning, if possible, when you start seeing the pair shimmering , cover up the tanks sides, and stay away from the tank (I know it's hard not too!), so there's no distractions that would spook them during the process

. Patience is the key, the pair can eat the eggs up to 10 or more times before they get it right!

pH is only one part of the solution. Basically discus need soft water with a low dissolved solids content for eggs to be fertilised successfully by the male. The higher the dissolved solid content of the water the faster the egg shell hardens, some times before the male has a chance to fertilise the eggs.

Some times I'll add 10ml of Methylene Blue, an anti fungicide to, to my 200 litre breeding tanks, 12 hours after the pair have laid.

I know of one discus keeper who's paired laid every week for 6 months, before they got it right and got to the stage of fry attaching to the parents.

Took the words right out of my mouth about the Tds and methylene blue Pk333. I use a TDS meter and try and get the tds around 100. I just lower the tds using rainwater cause it normally has a tds of around 10 so just mix it with tap water until the tds is right. You can use a RO unit aswell if you want but rain water does the trick anyway. You get much higher fertilisation rate with a tds around 100 but I normally put 10ml meth blue in a 60 litre tank.

Egg eating because the eggs are infertile is a different conversation from egg eating if parents are stressed or over protective (yes they eat eggs to protect them ).

If your eggs are infertile you can look at water chemistry, diet, fish maturity & behavior.

If your eggs are fertile and hatching then an egg cage, tank position, privacy, etc. Many breeders put tanks in end on so fish can retire to the back out of traffic and feel more secure. Black water, quiet fish room, towel over half tank, tank height off the ground etc can help but the simplest advice is to watch and watch your fish so you know if they are happy or not.

If you don't have time, but raise a lot of fish then go artificial raising. You will learn quite a lot.

Sign in to follow this