Related topic.

How do you stunt a fish? If the fish is stunted would the next generation be small as well? Thinking of creating rays that are small so people with normal width tank can have rays.

From what I've read, stunting is when a fish hasn't been given appropriate room to grow. However its internal organs keep growing... I'm no expert but I'd say this is bad for the fish lol.

I believe short bodied fish are a deformity that has been line bred to keep the trait (deformity). And still, I'm not exactly sure this is good for the fish.

In my opinion, if you can't house a fish for it to thrive in its natural form or its stunted. either don't buy it or humanely put it down

Fish that have been stunted have normal fry although stunted females may not produce good quality eggs.

But fish that carry genetic abnormal traits causing them to be born stunted may produce stunted fry eg blood parrots.

Causes such as high nitrates, bad diet and incorrect temperature will all produce stunted humans..... and fish.

Cramped conditions can stunt fish to different degrees, but this is usually not permanent unless its combined with other factors like high nitrates and bad nutrition. Eg koi in shallow ponds will not get nice shoulders but will get them if moved to deeper water.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

I have one uaru of my colony which stayed small despite having the best condition. It is a happy eater but remained small while his companions are gentle giants now.

Could be gene factor as i collected my colony from different breeder.

I inherited a tiger oscar a while back wich was 2 yr old and was kept in a 2ft tank and around 18cm looked like all stumpy but after being put in a 8x2x2 it grew real fast and I mean fast probly 10cm in 7-8 weeks and became top dog of the tank his tank mates were a 45cm Saratoga Jardini and 3 40cm pecock bass was just a bit curious to see what experiences others have had

I have one uaru of my colony which stayed small despite having the best condition. It is a happy eater but remained small while his companions are gentle giants now.

Could be gene factor as i collected my colony from different breeder.

The old runt male trick lol

Some dudes are just small

And in cichlids we seem to see lots of them.

People buy batches of fish.

The first batch, all alpha males.

The last batch is usually girls and runt males.

Breeders sell as fry achieve min size.

Thats why i like to buy 50 fry at 1cm rather than 6 fry at 6cm.

Lol gives me more to choose from.

But hey that aint a popular opinion so let me go hide in the corner .

I inherited a tiger oscar a while back wich was 2 yr old and was kept in a 2ft tank and around 18cm looked like all stumpy but after being put in a 8x2x2 it grew real fast and I mean fast probly 10cm in 7-8 weeks and became top dog of the tank his tank mates were a 45cm Saratoga Jardini and 3 40cm pecock bass was just a bit curious to see what experiences others have had

Maybe although he was kept in a small tank...... his owner did weekly water changes AND fed decent food?

Yea you can not do something optimal..... but that doesnt mean everything is doomed.

People are too harsh on people with tanks that are not to 'big enuf' and i get it right,but heres the thing..... you can fix this

Water changes man.

You can keep anything alive with them.

And heck theres even hacks to reduce them!

But yea if you cant afford that new tank.... get in those water changes.

Feed good food, or at least variety.

Try keep those nitrates below 40ppm.

And..... just watch your fish people.

You know them mate.

Stuff what others tell you.

YOU know them mate.

IF they are not doing their best..... GIVE them away.

ALWAYS put the fish first.

You can always get babies and raise them up again.

Small fish.... big tanks.

Its a good mantra.

Very.... rightous.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

The old runt male trick lol

Some dudes are just small

And in cichlids we seem to see lots of them.

People buy batches of fish.

The first batch, all alpha males.

The last batch is usually girls and runt males.

Breeders sell as fry achieve min size.

Thats why i like to buy 50 fry at 1cm rather than 6 fry at 6cm.

Lol gives me more to choose from.

But hey that aint a popular opinion so let me go hide in the corner .

Don't know about 50 ( I have a large number of small tanks ) - I like 20 but often settle for 12 and I prefer very young fish - more likely to get a random selection .