bazz

Please ID Fish, found dead up after flooding. (Images may disturb some)

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately this poor guy didn't make it, found it on my parents property there were actually a few.

They have a creek running through their backyard, which later became a river due to the intense rainfall friday. When the water levels dropped it left some fish behind. I only discovered them today.

There was a small amount of blue shading on its gills, that doesn't photo.

Below is the photo I apologize if the photo offends some.

post-7433-14711633452429_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bazz

So says the QLD DPI Fisheries, cannot keep tilapia, cannot use for bait, cannot return to the water dead or alive, cut there throats and throw em in the bushes or risk upto a 200k fine... big ones go alright on the light gear when chasing bass, but yeah there's some areas where the tilapia are outnumbering the bass that's for sure :(

terrible fish to be in our waterways yes for sure but we have some stupid laws in regards to them. Say you go fishing in a creek catch a tilly (that's what the guys who fish for them out my way call em) you can't throw it back, can't keep it to eat, can't throw it up the bank, cant have it in possession. So what do you do with it?????? . In my opinion make them worth something, give people a license to catch and sell as food. After all they would have to be one of the most popular farmed fish for human consumption across the world. Dams are full of them set up a commercial fishery so at least they are being targeted, taken and put to good use. Afterall they let licenced fishers target eels for the export market via trapping(and they are native) Why not do the same

So what do you do with it??????

You kill it. ...and then you can throw it up on the bank.

If a person accidently comes into possession of a noxious fish (e.g. tilapia) or a nonindigenous fish

that is not on the list outlined in Part 2 of Schedule 6 of the Fisheries Regulation 2008 (Appendix A),

they must immediately kill the fish as humanely as possible and dispose of it without releasing it into

the water.

I'm guessing that one problem with allowing people to keep the ones they catch when fishing as food is its encourages people to grow them intentionally for food (in dams etc) which would be a step backwards if trying to control their spread. It also gives people an "out" if they are caught with some. " I just caught it in the creek officer".

Edited by Grubs