Hi fellow fish addicts,

I have had an idea for a few years now that I have finally decided to follow up and make it happen.

Replacing that outdoor spa that had a broken heater and leaking filter with a fish pond.

For months (I procrastinate a lot) I slowly removed and dug out my old spa and saved up the cash for a good liner.. .75mm EPDM (wow this stuff is unreal).

Last Friday me and a good mate of mine started the build, which I'm sure I will rebuild/reshape multiple times but I thought I would share the pics and get some ideas from the experienced on what I haven't thought of and what will and wont work with my current canvas.

Ignoring the current stream because it will change once I get the rocks I like and ignoring fencing requirements (don't get me started) I am looking for some stocking ideas and anything else really.

My goal is to stock this with barra running a separate pump during the winter to get the water to the roof for a solar heating solution, currently I have a lonely 10 comets to help with the cycle which I hope will become barra food one day.

This will be my first post with attachments.. watch me screw it up..

But for now here is the measurements.

2.4m x 2.4m

Shallow end is 55cm

deep end is 120cm

My wild guess is about 4kL but if anyone else wants to do the maths that I cant be bothered with go for it.

My current concern is I need some algae eaters that wont get eaten by barra and can handle the cold temps that might occur in a Brisbane pond with solar heating. All I can think of is some large plecos but I'm not sure what temps to expect in the colder months, I have a little concern about the plecos hurting the liner but I'm pretty sure that wont be an issue just looking for some confirmation.

Pics will follow.

ooh not sure how that tuna got in the shot.. moving on..

post-13192-14711633497206_thumb.jpg

I will keep my progress pics coming but this project will no doubt change shape a little along the way, so please any helpful ideas/feedback would be appreciated.

yeah I hope I can keep it warm too.. the comets don't give a damn but if I want to keep the Barra like I'm hoping I can, I need to have a decent heating solution that's not going to blow the budget.

I don't think I will be able to afford the solar heating until after this winter so I'm chasing feedback from anyone that has tried something similar already.

A cheap and old fashion solar set up would be get a roll of 2 inch poly pipe there about 100m long and coil it onto your roof only problem is you will need a decent pump to get your water to circulate.