bestfish

cichlid breeding advice

hi i have never bred cichlids before, ive had a colony of 1m and 3f afra cobues for about a month roughly and still no action :cry: .

i have them in a 4x1x1 ft tank. there is 2 sponge filters, heater and a couple of broken terracotta pots in there.

is there anything else i should do? i no it is a waiting game :lol: but i want it to be a good breedable enviroment.

any suggestions......

thanks.

lol the anxiety of new breeders

most cichlids become distressed when shifted, especially if into a completely new environment. Some bounce back quickly, especially the larger types like dolphins and kadangas and sulphur crested lithobates. But ive found the smaller ones can be a bit finicky. is the male displaying at all, if hes not give him a nice cave to hide in and attack from.Something he can get under and feel secure in while surveying his territory, and as ive said i like to introduce dither fish, some smaller fish just to give the boy some competition.

I agree 7 weeks is getting to be a while, but like i said it varies between fish, my kingsizei sulked when i put em in a tank with large gravel. I had them there for almost 3 months and when i shifted them to a tank with smaller gravel they bred within a month and are now in the cycle again.

your not far from me, if your really worried let me know and ill try to come out and have a look.

BTW are the fish eating well and do they come out.

Peter

hey pete thanks mate, yeah im getting a couple of yellows. i have them lined up but the seller taking their time :roll: .

they dont really come out at all while i am there, even to eat only every now and then. the male has colour up heaps a couple of times but still no mouthfulls. 8O

i read some where to put some epsom salt in to harden the water, should i do this.

ok you need to test the water take a sample ot any good local aquarium

and yes you can raise the ph with sodium bi carb and rock salt which is what i use.

ideally you need a ph above neutral just how much is in debate my tap water comes out around 7.5 -7.8 which i find ideal i only use the bi carb if im playing with the water or tank

get water tested and let us know the results, but yes put something in with em anything to help fish really do feel more comy in schools even guppies which i have with my demasoni the daughter still has some endlers, but theyre too small

let us know what water parameters are

peter

I breed them in a big six foot tank and I have calcium rock on the bottom and they have bred heaps and before shes about to spit the babys I strip them so the other fish don't eat them so maybe try with some calcium rock on the bottom

8)

steven

With my fish they were breeding in my 6 foot display tank but when I put them in my breeding system in species tanks I tryed no substrate but they all hid and stoped breeding even after 3 months in there. I decided to but some gravel in the bottom of the tanks and my lombardi had mouthfuls within the week and everyone stoped hiding. Just don't think they liked to look at themselfe in the reflection off the bottom lol

in my experience ive found that alot of african cichlids like a current. if it were me id put a 1200Lph internal or better yet external cannister filter on it to keep the water moving and at the same time it will keep it all clean 8) that and the sponge filters you already have working together will be more than enough filtration.

another trick i read somewhere ages ago and it has worked for me is put a mirror on one end of your tank. the male will think there is another male in the tank and he wont know what to do he will go crazy trying to round up his girls competing with himself :lol: