ORANGEMELLY

My baby Oscars "seven" and "Nell"

Hi everyone ..here is a video of my 2 baby oscars...as you can see "Nell" the darker of the two is larger than "seven". Nell was smaller than seven 2 weeks ago when I bought her. This is why I have been concerned about seven and her not growing. I have noticed that she is also starting to lose weight. It seems that rergardless what food I try her with she is hesitant to come to surface and grab it but instead like to scavenge around floor of tank for food...she is eating as she is pooping..and she is active..Could you guys please watch my video and tell me if you see anything that I dont or if you can suggest another food I might try...I have been trying her with bloodworms...she swam right through them and made no effort to eat any ..until they landed on bottom of tank.

Hay [MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION]

Wat temp and water parameters in the tank??

Just curious....

This is just my opinion but Americans can be big (or small) sooks my 8ft display when I water change once a week I hardly see any fish for a day or 2 there is a good chance if she is still eating just not from the surface may not be completely comfortable/ settled in this tank ...what else is in this tank?? She could be getting bullied just because you're not seeing it doesn't mean it's not happening ...

Tank temp is 25.3 at present..(evening) but will drop to around 24.5 early morning as my house (granny flat under house) gets really cold in winter. The ammonia is 0 and the nitrite is 0 Nitrate is currently around 10

In the tank there :

2 oscars - seven approx 1.5" and Nell approx 2"

1 juvie chocolate cichlid approx 3-4 inches

1 Black belt juvie approx 2-3 inches -added only yesterday..doing okay.

4 small bronze corydoras

14 of some small native fish/gudgeon from LFS - sold as feeders which have been in tank some months before any other fish were added. Seven likes to chase these.

Thing is, she swims around with Nell, and other times by herself..she looks relaxed and content just doing her own thing..I have not seen the chocolate bully her at all...she did a bully her bit in other tank as chocolate likes to think it owns all the food...but this has stopped since moving too the new larger tank, which was 2-3 weeks ago..(old one was a 40 G.)

Perhaps she is just runty and will always struggle to put on size...regardless of what I do..just nature taking it's course...

Seven was being really bashed up in LFS even as I stood there watching whilst trying to pick out which red oscar I wanted...I picked her to give her a chance...that's the social worker in me...so much for picking the healthiest and strongest fish lol....I knew that she was not behaving like the oscars I have read about, seen on youtube or in LFS. Nell acts more like an oscar should, and spends half the day at top of tank begging for food....nell loves her food....which is how I thought oscars were meant to act...I bought Nell hoping that if seven hung around Nell, which she does, she might be encouraged to do what nell does...I might just have to wait and see what happens.

Affirmative...my favorite star trek series is voyager...I would love to see a new star trek series based on the creation of the Borg...how they came to be...the chocolate is called "six" after a character in the new battlestar galactica series ...my silver dollars..when i had 6 of them were the cylons.

UPDATE: chocolate cichlid has stopped chasing the black belt and they seem to have worked out between them what an acceptable distance apart is...also added a geophagus brazillienes juvie approx 1.5" to the tank which has fitted in no problems....Nell is still growing and her markings are becoming really cool. Black body with wide silver patterning..she/he is going to grow into a good looking oscar...so would seven if she would grow...

Sad to report that Seven died on thursday. 25/6/2015. She/he attempted to jump from tank and hit the brace. She completely lost an eye as well as significant damage near gill. I quarantined her and started to treat with melafix and salt but she did not make it. On a brighter note..her oscar friend Nell is thriving and growing. Nell is a chunky girl/boy....loves her worms.

I had two Oscars, Manson and Bundy... serial killers, literally! Manson when he was 6 inches decided to jump out of his tank into into my bed, that is the most scared I have ever been in my life! I had them two for the better part of a decade from memory, they have long since past.

I am sorry for your loss.

I had two Oscars, Manson and Bundy... serial killers, literally! Manson when he was 6 inches decided to jump out of his tank into into my bed, that is the most scared I have ever been in my life! I had them two for the better part of a decade from memory, they have long since past.

I am sorry for your loss.

Thanks ...I was fighting a losing battle with seven from the start..she was a runt and just never grew, I guess she had at least 5 months of life..if she had been in pet shop for much longer she would not have lasted as long as she did...now I must consider if I want another one or just stay with Nell...I think I would like to try again with another red oscar...thank you for your support.