cblaxall

Media Exchange Program

Probably the wrong page, but I thought it might get more attention in here (admin, feel free to move, no offence taken)

Anyway...

As someone who is fairly new to fishkeeping I really struggled to find help and reassurance in cycling my first tank (I didn't discover QLDAF until a few months after). I didn't know anyone who could hold my hand or provide me with any media.

Is there anyway the forum could provide a nice easy way for newbies looking to get hooked up with cycled media from the more seasoned members?

An exchange program perhaps where a newbie could request a swap, new media for old, based upon location/desired media?

I know that if someone needed filter squeezings etc. and they were willing to provide substitute media, and they were willing to come and collect, most of us would put our hands up and help. This would also provide some face to face time and allow knowledge to be shared.

For me (a relative newbie), half there is to this hobby is sharing information and helping out.

I'm a member of a Brisbane Facebook page where every second question is related to cycling, and honestly its sad, I wish there was some page that I could refer people to instead of just saying "Google the Nitrogen Cycle"

Anyway, its been a long day that has involved a bottle of wine at a dinner party, so feel free to ignore, it just gets to me that there's so many people out there panicking about their new prized fish in 2PPM Ammonia.

depends on the members, i think you have to crawl befor you can walk, and walk before you can run. stuff i do now i would never sugest to new hobbiest because they dont know how to fix the basics, and you need to know the basics to make it in this hobby. hot swapping media at the start of you hobby is just cheating youself.

you dont keep fish you keep bacteria.

Went I cycled my display, I brought filter wool, the shop owner added to his sump, I came back two weeks later, picked up four feeder gold fish and the wool, added to my two 406 filters and I was producing Nitrate in three days. No ammonia or nitrite spike.

depends on the members, i think you have to crawl befor you can walk, and walk before you can run. stuff i do now i would never sugest to new hobbiest because they dont know how to fix the basics, and you need to know the basics to make it in this hobby. hot swapping media at the start of you hobby is just cheating youself.

you dont keep fish you keep bacteria.

I agree in that this idea shouldn't allow for complacency, people should still have a good understanding of the nitrogen cycle and own a decent test kit. I'm more concerned about people sticking fish in water, then finding out about cycling a week later when their new fish start to die, than I am with people doing things properly. If this was in place, there would be an emergency 'out' for people struggling with the build up of nitrates. You're right about keeping bacteria, not fish, and that is exactly why people should get a helping hand from someone with existing bacteria and like I said, also the shared knowledge that comes with it.

Nothing can replace someone's first fishless cycle, don't get me wrong, but so many people don't even know what it even means.