Sign in to follow this  
samtaylor01

filtration

How many time are people turning there water over per hr

I have recently done a test on one of my systems and was shocked to find out i was only turning it over twice per hour when i thought i was getting at least 4x per hr

I tested it on my 8x2x700 with a 5x18x18 sump total of 1200lt

I got a 10000lph pump turned it on for 1min and it pumped 35lt of water out of the last chamber 35x60 is 2100lt of water per hr

Aim to get 5 times for fresh water, though if you have a 500L tank for instance dont get a 2500lph pump, because you will NOT get a turn over of 2500lph. Take into consideration head height, pipe size etc. If we are talking about canisters, a canister is rated with no media in it. Once you throw media in it it will dramatically decrease. Though aim for good quality media, fast flow rate isnt always good. I prefer a medium flow rate so the water does actually have a good contact with the bio media. I find that the cheap pumps do not even flow the amount of water that they say they can with no head height etc, just a pump pumping water into a bucket. For a canister a tip is to raise the canister as high as you can so it is level with the tank so it doesnt have to strain to push the water.

I did the bucket test on my atman cannister filter and flow rate was half. I have a 650L tank and have a fx6 cannister on it now and two aquael turbo 2000 inside. Has made the difference when testing for ammonia after feeding and is showing nothing all the time now.

Sign in to follow this