Sign in to follow this  
ORANGEMELLY

180 gallon tall...any good for a discus & tetra display tank?

Hey all...

I have a 180G 60 x 24 x 30 tall...drilled tank ....I was thinking about putting african cichlids in it..but when doing gravel cleaning and water change today on my 75G african cichlid tank there was so much poop around the rocks (of which there are a lot) I realised that doing this with a 30" tall would be problematic....I also have south and central american cichlids for which I will be purchasing a 6x2x2 for...they were going to go into 180G but I think they need more horizontal swimming room...

My brother is trying to get me to turn the 180G into a discus and tetra and corydora playground...an amazonian biotope ..plants only on surface - water sprite, black water,almond leaves, driftwood, sand, rocks...I have another tank which I was planning on using as a sump refugium under this one which is around 60G.. I am guessing that a 30 tall would be difficult to light sufficiently to have as a low maintenance planted tank...unless you could raise up the floor/substrate??....and so for water health thought a refugium might be the way to go...

I know that discus require a bit more care than other cichlids..and I would not be getting them (around 6-8 discus) until tank was well and truly established and running for at least 4 months...and I was confidant that I have learnt enough about discus....but before I make a commitment to go in this direction can I have your ideas or thoughts. ...what would really rock your boat if my 180G was yours? What would you put in it and why?

Thanx all.

that tank would be awesome for discus , blue and gold rams , cories, cardinal tetras all look good with them.

dont make it a tank with lots of current but shojld have some type of movementw

that tank would be awesome for discus , blue and gold rams , cories, cardinal tetras all look good with them.

dont make it a tank with lots of current but shojld have some type of movementw

It is 700L and so I think you could easily house close to 70-100 tetras, 6-8 discus, I was thinking of bolivian or golden rams too, say 3 pairs, and a bunch of corydoras to help keep the substrate clean...I was thinking of using a aquaclear 500 as additional filtration in case sump pump failed -would that as well as the return from the sump provide enough movement? I also have a thing for airstones/disks and so would have a couple of these as well...I am thinking that understocked might be better than overstocked as it would seem that keeping the water quality high is important for discus...my tap water here is 7.4 though...I have been trying to find information on peat or sphagnum moss..I really want to try and achieve a good environment without having to tamper with the water with adding chemicals - rather want to utilize natural materials...I am not sure about my water hardness here in Nerang..Do the fish shops have tests for water hardness?..I did look up Gold coast city council water management and basically water hardness seems to differ right across the gold coast.

Hi, I had never kept discus until fairly recently because you hear they are hard to lookafter, I spoke to Thomo 29 and he said to try, I have a 300lit tank with 6 discus and corries I check ph and do 25% water changes weekly, keep temp around 29 and have never had any problems. I have been told people are to fussy with discus, oh I also treat with kusuri wormer. I find there is no more maintenance than my 300lit community tank. Go for it !!!!! I also run 2 disc air stones

a 1200 canister and 800 lph internal.

Hi, I had never kept discus until fairly recently because you hear they are hard to lookafter, I spoke to Thomo 29 and he said to try, I have a 300lit tank with 6 discus and corries I check ph and do 25% water changes weekly, keep temp around 29 and have never had any problems. I have been told people are to fussy with discus, oh I also treat with kusuri wormer. I find there is no more maintenance than my 300lit community tank. Go for it !!!!! I also run 2 disc air stones

a 1200 canister and 800 lph internal.

Thanks for that..I am keen to do it...I think that with 700L 6-8 discus and a bunch of tetras should be fine..you are only 15 minutes down the road from me...is your water hard or soft there and what PH do you keep yours at?..or have you just acclimatized your fish to "our" water?

Thanks

Melissa.

the tank bred strains of discus arent anywhere near as hard to keep as wild strains and will live in tap ph water cos chancss are thats what they were bred in.You can always add rain water to lower the ph.

Kasuri all wormer is what i use to use for them

28 degrees is a good point to start and up it when or if you need to

the tank bred strains of discus arent anywhere near as hard to keep as wild strains and will live in tap ph water cos chancss are thats what they were bred in.

Hi [MENTION=11290]billfish[/MENTION], this comment is not aimed at you personally, I'm just making an observation on this line of thinking.

I do agree that commercial strains of Discus are much hardier than wild strains.

I believe it's always good to do a little research in to where and/or how the fish were bred. Ask about the water the fish were bred in, and raised in. Most of us are familiar with Brisbane tap water, but it's just that, Brisbane tap water. Melbourne tap water is soft, with a pH in the 6's. Don't assume all tap water is the same.

Most discus sold in LFS come from Malaysia. I don't imagine the tap water in Ipoh, Malaysia is the same as Brisbane's. That's if they use tap water, and not rain water, or a mixture.

Also ask about locally bred fish. Speaking for myself, I use ~75% rain water with my Discus and Bettas, ~50% rain water raising my discus juveniles. I know other people use RO water with their Discus.

The same possibly goes for locally bred African cichlids. Are local breeders adding home made African cichlid buffers or commercial African cichlid buffers? or breeding in straight tap water?

Hi [MENTION=11290]billfish[/MENTION], this comment is not aimed at you personally, I'm just making an observation on this line of thinking.

I do agree that commercial strains of Discus are much hardier than wild strains.

I believe it's always good to do a little research in to where and/or how the fish were bred. Ask about the water the fish were bred in, and raised in. Most of us are familiar with Brisbane tap water, but it's just that, Brisbane tap water. Melbourne tap water is soft, with a pH in the 6's. Don't assume all tap water is the same.

Most discus sold in LFS come from Malaysia. I don't imagine the tap water in Ipoh, Malaysia is the same as Brisbane's. That's if they use tap water, and not rain water, or a mixture.

Also ask about locally bred fish. Speaking for myself, I use ~75% rain water with my Discus and Bettas, ~50% rain water raising my discus juveniles. I know other people use RO water with their Discus.

The same possibly goes for locally bred African cichlids. Are local breeders adding home made African cichlid buffers or commercial African cichlid buffers? or breeding in straight tap water?

I am not too keen with the idea of using our rainwater as we are pretty close to the motorway and my dust at home is greyish/black and so I am pretty sure that our roof would have a fair amount of toxins in it...I went into the new aquarium warehouse and they had some nice discus (I'm not not ready yet to buy ...more research first)..but the guy in there said that if I bring some of my water in they can test the hardness for me...I do not want to have to fluff around with doing too much with my water..I know my Ph is stable and if I could get away with using almond leaves or the like to just improve the beneficial components of my water and thereby health and comfort of my fish that is what I will likely do...

I have another question: I am planning on using play sand substrate (white) and a fair amount of driftwood. Driftwood lowers PH - correct? Does the PH stabilize and then stay there and does the addition of new water such as when we do a water change make it rise some and then does the driftwood make it go back down after a bit? I guess I am asking what the limitations of driftwood are in lowering and maintaining PH....I am looking into sphagnum moss as well... also wondering about those peat balls from pondguru...would like to see if anyone has done any experiments with those and what the results have been.

In my opinion, driftwood will do very little. Our tap water has a very high dissolved solids and mineral content. You really need to dilute the tap water, with nuetral water with very little dissolved solid content to be able to change the pH.

Many people use RO water.

I run my rain water through a fine particle and carbon filter, then mix the rain water with tap water, treat and age in an IBC.

[MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION] could not agree more with your comment about researching the water perameters the fish were bred and kept in ,our finned friends have enough stress in being chucked in bags and moved around the world then chucked in what can only be described as a hostile environment

The ph scale is a logaramithic scale which each full number is increased by a factor of 10

Which means if you buy a fish thats been kept in neutral water and you chuck it in a tank with a ph of 6 it is 10 times more acidic , but if that tank had a ph of 5 it would be 100 times more acidic than the neutral water the fish was accustomed to

My comment on wild strains versus commercial strains was just a generalised statement and was only intended as an observation and not to overwhelm [MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION] with info that can be accessed later on

I used tap water initially when setting up tank, cycled with a handfull of guppys and mollies, tap water at start ph7, when cycled down to 6.6, after discus etc had been in for a couple of weeks ph6.4 do tap water changes using fraction and ph seems to stay stable. My fish were bred in brisbane region, also have 3 pieces of driftwood, java moss & fern & anubias.

Edited by peter m

[MENTION=14718]ORANGEMELLY[/MENTION] jump on FB and look for a group called Gold Coast Discus. Darren is a private importer, and brings in some very good quality discus. Also check out Living Reef Aquarium down the Gold Coast, they specialize in discus.

And there are a couple of local breeders on QLDAF. One being ssdiscus.

I have figured that trying to buy them local is probably my best bet at getting discus that are already in water which may be similar to mine. I was in at the new aquarium warehouse today, having a look and they had some nice looking young discus in there. Just a few tanks down were african cichlids. I was wondering if they have all tanks "tied" together - are they all sharing same water?..I will ask them when I go in next time ..as well as what pH they have their tanks at. I think gold coast water is different to Brisbane water too as we get ours from a different dam..Nerang dam. To me Brisbane water tastes and looks different also...me being a tap water connoisseur...

I will be buying juvies as I am a full time uni student and so I will be growing them up in a 4ft bare bottom tank..which will also be running a sump...My problem is that I have the equipment and tanks...just not the know how ...yet.

If you are willing to go to 8 mile plains I can give you number of guy who sells juvies at reasonable price, I bought from him and am growing them up, growing fast and healthy.

If interested you can call me for number 0435021856. Peter

Sign in to follow this