grubby

Is there an ANGFA meeting this Friday night ?

Yes I believe there is ,

As for the agenda - I do not remember the name but a couple of the QAH guys were talking about some famous guy having a speech . I can't remember his name but I think he is German .

Found the email. Yes, it is on.

The bit about the speakers from the email

"

This Friday we have another cracker meeting lined up. Peter Hansler (or Rainbowrunner for the online community) will give us a talk about his experiences with catching and breeding southeast Queensland natives in ponds and aquaria. We’ll also have David Roberts taking us on tour through some of the rivers and creeks of the Northern Territory. Both of the talks have some excellent video footage so it’ll be well worth braving the cool weather.

"

Todayat 7:30pm

Starts in about 3 hours

178 Alexandra Rd, Clayfield

This time we'll have two presentations.

1) Pete's native ponds, aquariums, and underwater videos: A quick look at how Peter Hansler (Rainbowrunner) catches and breeds rainbowfish and blue eyes outdoors and some underwater videos of creeks around southeast Queensland.

2) Dave's Territory Tour: A selection of underwater videos from Dave Roberts' family holiday through the Northern Territory.

We'll also get the results from the Ekka aquarium show and I'm sure there'll be some stories from those who entered.

The drinks stand and the shop will be open for books and aquarium supplies, and there'll be an auction where members can sell fish, plants, and other aquarium related items. Guests are welcome to come and have a look, you can join up on the night if you're interested.

What did people think of this months meeting? Any suggestions for improvements or ideas for next meeting. It was an unusually small auction this time, but I bet it will bounce back at the next meeting.

[MENTION=3238]DavidTullee[/MENTION]

All good - everything in the talks was relevant !

The auction was small but the auction is only part of the night .

I go there to find out about the particular natives that I keep or want to keep , so some how to talks may be in order .

I am relatively new to keeping Rainbows , I have been keeping fish for 50 years but rainbows about 10 and any serious effort to breed them about 3 years .

I am not really able to go collecting so if I want any quantity I have to breed them so any talk topics about breeding , raising fry , growing live food etc would be keenly appreciated .

My health is not great so it is a night out that is not too far away .

Edited by pony-tail

Thanks for the feedback, we are planning on a night of informal talks at the meeting after this one where people can get up and talk about their approaches to keeping fish, breeding, foods etc. so this will be a good chance to talk and ask about native fish keeping.

Friday 9th October meeting - Some of the email details.

Our October meeting is this Friday and we've got a couple of great presentations lined up. Greg Ure will take us a look around Aquarama 2015 and all the latest the world has for the hobby. As well as that, Jack McCann will give us some insight into the lives of Bass with some of his recent research from the Logan and Albert catchments.

Since our August meeting we've also had display's on the Queen Street Mall for National Threatened Species Day and at Indigiscapes for Bushcare's Major Day Out. It's been great for us to get out and talk to so many people who are interested in looking after a waterways and their inhabitants.

Brisbane City Council has been in touch and we're planning (after a couple of washouts) to have another shot at a Forest Lake Pest Fishing Day sometime in November. Hopefully we'll have some details to announce on Friday.

Friday 11th December meeting - Email information.

Hi ANGFA Qld members and friends,

It's time for us to wrap up 2015 and get ready for 2016. We've had a really big year. We've had a few public engagements like Indiscapes Bushcare Day Out, National Threatened Species Day on the Mall, and Pest Fishing at Forest Lake - and they've all had great turnouts. We also got some excellent projects under-way. Our work with Bush Heritage and Edgbaston Reserve is slowly but surely moving forward and we're hoping to revisit the Springs in 2016. If we can find the time we're hoping to make the most of an invitation from Bush Heritage to visit Yourka Reserve next year as well. Our Rhadinocentrus breeding program with Redland City Council and Logan City Council is off to a great start, with fry being produced while we're still setting up - and for those who've put their hand up for volunteering we will be ready in the new year. Our collaboration with SOWN has seen creek restoration work that considers what's in the creek as well as what's growing along the edges (onya Leo Lee!).

In the midst of all of that we've had our regular involvement with QFAS events including market days, auctions, shows, and other club events. Our president Steve Baines is QFAS president as well and many of our members have been able to take advantage of activities offered by all of the QFAS clubs. There's a joint Christmas party with ANGFA Qld and the Queensland Cichlid Group (yep, really) at Broncos Leagues Club this Saturday night - give Steve a call on 0448890798 if you'd like to attend. Following the success of ANGFA conventions QFAS is looking to start holding conventions of their own.

If, like me, you had the misfortune of missing the convention Greg Ure will give us a run down of what we missed at Friday night's meeting. We'll also have Adrian Dawson with an undoubtedly entertaining talk about the waterfalls of Dorrigo. This meeting will be our AGM as well and there's certainly plenty of opportunities for anyone who'd like to help out. We're especially looking for anyone who'd be interested in helping out with magazine content and/or social media. We're planning to start preparing for the 2017 convention (yes - our turn again) early and we could could definitely use a hand there as well. On top of all that we have our end of year auction as well. Last year it was the biggest we'd seen and this year could be even bigger with rainbows, gudgeons, and plenty of plants already lined up.

For those of you are local we'd love to see you at the Bar Jai on Friday night. Non-members are welcome to come and have a look - if you're interested you could always join up on the night. And of course for anyone who can't make it, I'd like to wish you a safe and joyous festive season on behalf of all of the ANGFA Qld committee. 2016 is shaping up to be another great year for ANGFA Qld and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do together!

All the best,

Peter Johnson

Secretary, ANGFA Qld