yeah I second that from lictoga you honestly can't go past Dennison from mary annes aquariums. He built my 8 x 2 x 2.5 with immaculate quality at almost half the cost that I'd been quoted anywhere else. Plus the dudes an absolute g, which always helps haha.

you probably wont find many people who have had tanks from both, I don't think you'll got wrong either way.

I've used Dennison in the past for some breeding tanks, they just breeding tanks but they are better built than any "off the shelf tank".

if... scratch that.. when I need more tanks ill be heading to Dennison again.

I know of guys that have custom sized tanks built by dennison and they all say the same thing , great tanks,good price, and you get exactly what you pay for and easyto deal with

That ticks all the boxes for me.

No matter who you use ask the following questions before buying:

(1.) What type of glass are you using

(2.) Is glass new or used

(3.) What thinkness is the glass

(4.) WHat thickness are the lids and what type of handle do they have (or is a hole drilled)

(5.) Specify you do not want any laminate used - not even for the base.

I have had less than satisfactory tanks built from various sources including one often recommended on this forum. Ask the questions above - be sure to carefully inspect the tanks before you pay (not possible with custom tanks so try and just pay a deposit not the full amount) and you should be fine. I use Masterpet tanks now and while they are chinese and I have seen the odd sh** one - generally they are pretty good. Ben from AOA imported a shipment of really good Chinese tanks but unfortunately he doesn't bring them in anymore (or didn't when I made enquiries last.) I bought 50 odd from Ben - would have bought 100 more if I could have gotten them - they were that good!

Edited by none

Who builds the better tank? Dennison or aquarium 3, from your experience?

Thanks

Iv got tanks from both builders my new tank is being built by Aquarium 3 its just over 12 foot long 4 wide and 2.5 tall

Does anyone know if theaquariumshop.com.au uses the same Micks tanks to build their tank as the micks tanks that other people on here have used?

Yes they are Mick built tanks through Aquarium 3

No matter who you use ask the following questions before buying:

(5.) Specify you do not want any laminate used - not even for the base.

Hey [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] can you explain/expand please.

I have had all my tanks built by Gary Maher. You can find his tanks for sale at quite a few LFS, and I know of a couple of LFS that all their stock tanks are Gary Maher built.

Laminate glass is two pieces of glass bonded together. It is not suitable for aquarium applications as over time moisture gets between the two pieces and seperation can and does occur. 6mm laminate is really 2 x 3mm glass pieces. Have heard so many horror stories over the years regarding tanks that have let go as a result. Laminate is cheap so tank builders like to use it to save money. One who even advertises (or at least used to) clearly as using "NO LAMINATE" actually uses laminate in their tanks. Had experience of tanks being ordered - no laminate specified then the tanks get home only top find the bases are laminate. To be clear the base is the safest place to have laminate. In smaller tanks a THICK laminate base is unlikely to cause problems providing stand and coolite base is overkill. That being said anyone looking to buy a new tank would be wise to ensure the tank is not made of laminate - base included. Large heavy tanks should under no circumstance be made with laminate glass. There have been situations I am aware of where tanks have let go that could have killed people.

Just had a rather disappointing experience with one of this so called 'good' tank builders.

I was provided with a quote 3 weeks ago and now I am asked to pay 20% more. Most quotes would at least be valid for 30 days. What a shameful act. I'll be telling everyone to stay clear from them from now on. I don't mind paying more for quality work but for a business to flippantly change their price makes me feel they are dishonest.

Sadly, I initially contacted them with high regard and end up leaving with little respect for them.

Please send me a PM if you have an honest tank builder to recommend. Thanks!

Edited by jc12

I second the none use of laminate glass, have seen a 5 footer explode, moisture can get in and separate the laminate. Of course it may never happen but why risk it.

Heard many good things about mick at aquarium 3 but have not yet had a tank built for myself , personally i have gary maher tanks.. 3 of them anyway. price wise they do not compete with dennison but one main factor you might wish too ask is what breaking strain of glass does dennison build his tanks around, then ask that same question too gary maher you might be suprised at the answers hence the price difference.

I do wonder if one tank builder makes a tank with say a 1.5 breaking strain, and another tank builder works off at least a 2.0 breaking strain of the glass, which tank is safer and built too last longer, I know I wouldn't enjoy waking up too my pets on the floor and one massive insurance claim for home & content damage.

I've heard good things about all three of them hence I decided to give one of them a go. I have only had tanks from Aqua One and Aquarium R Us but thought to build my tanks using a quality tank builder for a display rack.

I don't know anything about breaking strain of glass but they are all 2fters so I reckon shouldn't be too critical.

Anyway, after this disappointing experience with this so called 'good' tank builder today, I decided to go with Dennison. Not only did Dennison communicated and provided a quote promptly, he came back cheaper than this so called 'good' tank builder, with a faster turn around time too.

I wonder why I even bothered going to someone else when I should have just gone with the long standing trusted tank builder with a good reputation instead.