Slipshodman

Can Mineral Balls Harm other fish

Hi Guys,

I started a 30cm cube set up as a shrimp tank.

Nothing to special, just for Red Cherries.

Anyway i had the tank with a Mystery Snail and two small Bristlenose in it for a month or so. It only has one live plant of Riccia about 2 inches square

On the weekend i added 5 Red Cherry Shrimp and a few mineral balls that the LFS told me were needed for the shrimp to shed their shells

So within two days both Bristlenose have died.

Water perimeters are all in spec 6.6PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and Nitrates about 5 - 10 PPM

So i suppose my question is if the mineral balls may have effected them in some way , changing some other component in the water

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Donny

The Cube has one sponge filter about 10 cm round bubbling away that agitates the water, and i had only given the shrimp a small piece of seaweed that the LFS gave me, they suggested a small piece once a week. They also gave me one small pine nut looking thing that they advised the shrimp would feed on.

Looks a bit like this but only about 2cm long, sorry i don't know what it is called

post-15484-14711633671472_thumb.jpg

Apart from that i feed the BN a algae wafer broken in two every couple of days but hadn't changed the amount at all.

Cheers

Thanks Guys,

I am going to keep this Shrimp only for the time being while i work it out.

I moved around the scape last night to try and see if i could find anything, i found a couple of algae pellets stuck under the driftwood, not that it caused ammonia or nitrate problems (yet anyway) but maybe the BN just weren't eating for whatever reason and that may have been related to them dying.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Just to add to the question as Donny mentioned it could have been lack of oxygen

My shrimp have started hanging off the bottom of Duck Weed on the water top in the tank.

The only thing i found on google is that could also be a lack of oxygen, does that sound normal ?

Could one sponge filter in a 1 ft cube not be enough ?

Cheers

One sponge should be enough but you could always add another or an airstone to help. I find my shrimp hanging from the duckweed occasionally, usually they are just feeding on the roots.

With the original question I have mineral balls in most of my tanks and some have endlers and bn. Haven't noticed any negative effects on the fish, i know alot of people that don't use mineral balls for cherries and have no issues. I only have them in my tanks cause I was given a box for free lol.

Cheers mick