pony-tail

Anybody on here been keeping fish for around 50yrs or more ?

Favourite fish would be Werneri rainbows do have a soft spot for Multies though (N.multifasciatus ).but most of my fish keeping was Discus .

I got caught up in the genetics thing ( over it now ) Just about ( small ) natives only now

I have been involved in the fishkeeping hobby ever since I won a poor little goldfish at the Japanese cultured pearl show pavilion at the Brisbane Ekka at the age of 8 back in 1963 and nagged my parents into buying me a little 9 x 6 x 6 inch tank to keep it in. Of course, the poor little thing didn't last very long in my young inexperienced hands, but I had the bug and soon replaced it with some gambusia livebearers I caught in the creek running through the local golf course. Then I upgraded to swordtails and guppies and I have been keeping and breeding fish ever since.

So that makes 52 years :)

Cheers, Doug

I would love to hear off you guys what it was like keeping fish back then eg equipment available etc ?

I started keeping fish about 1958 when I was 8, in an outside small pond.

They were Gambusia from the local creek. The government or council put them in the creeks to control mosquitoes and when I think back they were the only fish we used to catch. They must have cleaned out the native stock.

A couple of years later I got my first fish tank. It was about 18 in. (45 cm) wide by 10 in. (25 cm) wide and deep. It had a spotty green painted metal frame that eventually went rusty on the spot soldered corners. The glass was held in with window putty. By this time i had Axolotls in it.It was kept near a window for light and every fortnight all the water was dumped and the tank cleaned and filled with clean tap water. There was no filter or air pump in those days. I'm surprised anything lived through the process.

Food was crumbled stale bread, earthworms from the garden. Then along came packaged food. It was called K-9 (I didn't twig to the reference at the time). It was crumbled dog biscuits and had 0% nutritional value.

In 1971 I received a monstrous 3 ft x 15 in tank and stand. It had a single bulb lamp stand for light and no filters and was stocked with Platies and Guppies.

In 1975 I moved to Queensland and the 3 ft tank with all my clothes packed in it travelled up in the back seat of a Datsun 1200. Since settling in Queensland I have kept fish continually and progressed with the hobby. The beauty of the hobby is there is always stuff to learn and the hobby is as fascinating as when I started about 57 years ago.

I started with a second hand 4x18x18 with a Dynaflo hang on filter on a wrought iron stand . No light or heater at first - then I bought a heater a couple of weeks later . The light was made by a relative by fitting a 4 foot flouro in a piece of light gauge 4 inch x 4 inch galvanised steel channel painted white that was in 1965 .

Food was flake or whatever live food I could scrounge . My plants were donated by the Myall ck and Condamine river - was a couple of months before I saved up enough to buy 2 fish as I was using tank water I bought 2 smallish brown Discus ( they cost almost as much then as they do now ) 6 months later they spawned ( once they spawned - I was addicted )

Hi All

I started in the 60's sometime with goldfish in old cement laundry tubs. Used to breed them as well. Graduated to inside glass tank made out of a model T rear window cut by the local glazier. Then I brought a 3 foot tank, stainless frame with putty to seal glass with a variety of tropicals. I was cleaning it outside one day when my brother ran his trike into it and smashed the glass. I was going to fix it but never got around to it. From then on we all know what happened in the late 60's.

From then to now I have had fish, on and off, as with all of us work commitments, constrain us from certain activities. Now I have semi retired I am back into keeping fish again more than ever before. I have about 12 tanks, all full of different varieties of tropicals.

Hoping to keep the interest into the future. We have come a long way from the 60's regarding fish keeping. Cheers