DFishkeeper

Fish safe underwater sealant ~ yes there is such a thing

Gold Label

Hi guys,

I have recently had some issues with leaks in two of my large plastic sumps (Nally megabins) that have been setup for around 8 years now.

Replacing the tubs is my least favoured current option due to the way they are setup, so I wanted to be able to patch and repair them, preferably while they were still running.

After a bit of googling I came across the stuff in the link at the top of this post, Gold Label pond sealer, fish safe and sets underwater. So I got some to try.

In short, it works just like they claim. I was able to identify and seal a small crack in one tub with just the sealant, and use a piece of pond liner and the sealant to stop a leak in a corner of the other tub where I could not find the crack by sealing the whole corner. All while the sumps were running as usual. All seals were made underwater.

I have just bought another tube to keep in my fishroom as it will come in really handy whenever I have to deal with the leaks that eventually arise in all fishrooms. Anyone else with a fishroom would also find it handy to have sitting on a shelf. Its not exactly cheap at around $40.00 for a 290ml tube, but it was worth every cent to me for the time, cost and aggravation it saved me.

You can buy it from our sponsor @The Tech Den

Cheers, Doug

Edited by DFishkeeper

Thanks Doug, When I saw the Gold Label for the first time I thought - how many times could I have used this with a leak in a tank and not wanting to drain it and had to get it in. It is at least twice the price of normal silicon but if you do not want to pull the tank down and apart it is well worth it and a great option and product to do so. I think off the top of head it uses the oxygen in the water to cure the silicon underwater giving it a strong bond.

Could this be the answer to my prayers :noidea: I've been working like a mad man to set up a 6x2 and yep after letting it stand(yep pretty much full of water) and thinking all is peachy I've moved over the fish,aquascaped,etc etc and then yep small leak from one of the base corners :faint::frusty: or do I just have a jinx :noidea: (after setting it up the first time the initial canister filter decided it didn't like me and made the fish room floor a swampland)..... :faint: