Tristan

Fish judging criterea

Can anyone link me to the thread that explains how fish are judged in competitions? Know ive seen it here before but cant find it. Think i may have a few potentials to enter this year for something a bit different and fun haha.

i know the ekka show is coming up... Anything else around at the moment?

Your lucky they have just extended the time for fish to be entered

Hello Everybody,

If you are interested in participating.

Please find attached the Fish (Pisciculture) Schedule and entry form.

The closing date for entries has been put back to the 26th June.

We will not have the full set up we normally have, only 15 stands instead of 19, so large tanks will be at a premium.

If you need a large tank get your entries in ASAP.

The fish have to be out and tanks emptied by Sunday 16th August.

The tanks can be stored for pick up till Wednesday 19th August.

If you have any questions contact me at the number below.

Cheers,

Bill Smith,

Hon Council Steward,

Pisciculture

0422 008 493

I was a member of the Dedicated Aquarium Hobbiests club in the 80's.

We entered fish in a regular competition and judges came to our homes to judge the entrants and trophies would be awarded to the winners.

I can only remember Peter Ponting as being one of the judges.

Do any old farts remember which other judges did the judging for the Dedicated club?

[MENTION=1969]smootheye[/MENTION] Greg Ure? Bill Smith? Although Bill was a member of the "enemy" group Qld Cichlid Club.

Ray Leggett?

Any help will relieve my migraine!

Thanks for everyones help :D i am definately keen to enter sounds like fun... Has anyone ever had a fish die while in the hands of the ekka staff etc? Im a bit worried about how much time they will be spending away from me haha... I presume the tanks are set up and completely cycled to handle the bioload of fish all entered at once? Its a shame the big fish arent judged on size... I had one in mind but its 40-45cm so dont really want to put it in a 4x18. Has anyone ever heard of big fish still winning the grand prize?

Would also be tempted to enter my big snakehead gudgeon from my display picture under the gdgeons/ gobies category as he is starting to colour up real nice.

damanudm: ETOUQ
- Do any old farts remember which other judges did the judging for the Dedicated club?

[MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION]

I have a vague memory of A & T getting renamed to Dedicated? Can't rembr or a spinoff or were they two different clubs .. ? Maybe G. Parker as a judge, he used to be up with all the shows and comps and would always plug A & T

Edited by aqc247

- Do any old farts remember which other judges did the judging for the Dedicated club?

@mbunamad

I have a vague memory of A & T getting renamed to Dedicated? Can't rembr or a spinoff or were they two different clubs .. ? Maybe G. Parker as a judge, he used to be up with all the shows and comps and would always plug A & T

[MENTION=6679]aqc247[/MENTION]/11Dedicated was started by Peter Ponting and Howard Vyse as far as I know.

Aquarium and Terrarium was a different club.

I know the name Gary Parker now [Pet City] but not from back then.

... Has anyone ever had a fish die while in the hands of the ekka staff etc? Im a bit worried about how much time they will be spending away from me haha... I presume the tanks are set up and completely cycled to handle the bioload of fish all entered at once?

I'm happy to lend some of my fish - not entering any competition but just to display them to get more interest on people to visit the fish section. problem will only be logistics as they are not convenient to carry around.

Ive been to Ekka maybe just twice and the fish area don't have much people traffic. it has been a quiet/isolated/lonely place. not sure if it had improved since then.

Tristan

I would suggest you have a good read of the information regarding the shows.

Firstly the best shows to enter for beginners are those that are only held over short periods of time and have good vehicle access. Mainly those held at the Caboolture Show Grounds, like the Market Show coming up in October.

The RNA is the show that runs the longest and put the most stress on the competitor and the fish. Access is a major problem during set up and pull down. This year we have between 7.00pm and midnight on Sunday night to remove everthing, tanks, fish, the lot. And vehicle access will be a nightmare.

No show has tanks set up, cycled and ready to use.

The normal situation is you must supply your own tank, filter, heater, gravel, ornaments, plants etc. Tank must fit the sizes nominated by the show which usually are 600 x 375 x 375mm, 900 x 450 x 450mm and in some case 1200 x 450 x 450mm.

The procedure is simply. You take your tank in set it up on the stand in the position allocated. Put in you gravel and decor then fill it with water - either water you have taken with you or from the local tap. You then have to neutralise the water and balance the chemistry to what you want. Set up your filter and when you are happy put your fish in. You should plan to do this at least one day before hands out so the fish can settle in before judging.

There are a small amount of tanks that belong to the Club at Caboolture they they allow competitors to use for the shows there but you have to get in early.

Stewards are on hand throughout the shows and they will check the tanks every morning and feed fish where they have been asked to do so, but there is no guarantee that fish will survive.

Personally I have lost fish mainly due to things like the heater jamming on and cooking the fish overnight, or fish jumping out of the tank. These things happen - no one to blame.

Come to any of the club meeting and talk to people that currently show fish if you want to know more.

Graeme