Converting my ar980 tank to reef, ive looked around online and cant seem to find any HOB skimmers in australia. Does any have any experience with these or know where i can buy one online or gold coast/brisbane.

Dont want to pay more than $100

Thanks.

I don’t know anything about the hob but in the early eighties when I first herd of the venturi, I went from the wood stone types that even the actual gurus reckon are still superior to all that have come since and started adding in a home venturi out of clear plastic pipe and pens and setting home made varied styles in, i reckon even with out pin wheels and needle wheel pumps or what ever, a basic smallish skimmer with the spinning/washer style I sue to call it work great, but slightly over pressurised.

That was the second type I thought of that might work okay after help on how the venturi functions initially and made that and it use to keep my bubbles in suspension for ages and took all the rubbish out nicely.

Not since 84 have a had a skimmer on my systems till early last year when upping the water volume to 10 feet of tank equivalent, but have made them for mates or altered purchased ones to suit, in fact down stairs now I am making a reactor and skimmer for Danny, he had some clear acrylic tube and sheet laying around last time I was over and said when I get rained out at work next time I will make you a couple, its not hard!

I use my homemade reactor which is the same as I use to make way back and I bought a skimmer, a friend knew I was going to do it again and got a cheapy and showed me. I didn’t want it till I took it a part out of curiosity and I’ll be damed, the venturi, the washer and all the rest of the guts was exactly the same as what I use to make!! How cool was that!

The no brand skimmer cost me $28 on special from $34 normally and a pump for 2000litres for $49, I thought over all that was pretty good.

It was cheap and i have all ways kept power heads after serious prefiltering to protect them so my skimmer is well after both forms of prefiltering so the impellor area of my pumps last for a very long time and remain constant in functionality.

My first power heads that I could not afford, a collector I worked with sometimes way back gave them to me, these changed my ways from air pumps and they lasted, one at 18 years and the next at just under 20 years.

If your skimmer is smallish like mine, your phos reduction ways has to be bigger.

This is mine after around 8 to 10 days, only a slightly wet type of skimming I do, its thick that stuff in there.

skim-_zpsf9uu70rd.jpg

I don’t know anything about the hob but in the early eighties when I first herd of the venturi, I went from the wood stone types that even the actual gurus reckon are still superior to all that have come since and started adding in a home venturi out of clear plastic pipe and pens and setting home made varied styles in, i reckon even with out pin wheels and needle wheel pumps or what ever, a basic smallish skimmer with the spinning/washer style I sue to call it work great, but slightly over pressurised.

That was the second type I thought of that might work okay after help on how the venturi functions initially and made that and it use to keep my bubbles in suspension for ages and took all the rubbish out nicely.

Not since 84 have a had a skimmer on my systems till early last year when upping the water volume to 10 feet of tank equivalent, but have made them for mates or altered purchased ones to suit, in fact down stairs now I am making a reactor and skimmer for Danny, he had some clear acrylic tube and sheet laying around last time I was over and said when I get rained out at work next time I will make you a couple, its not hard!

I use my homemade reactor which is the same as I use to make way back and I bought a skimmer, a friend knew I was going to do it again and got a cheapy and showed me. I didn’t want it till I took it a part out of curiosity and I’ll be damed, the venturi, the washer and all the rest of the guts was exactly the same as what I use to make!! How cool was that!

The no brand skimmer cost me $28 on special from $34 normally and a pump for 2000litres for $49, I thought over all that was pretty good.

It was cheap and i have all ways kept power heads after serious prefiltering to protect them so my skimmer is well after both forms of prefiltering so the impellor area of my pumps last for a very long time and remain constant in functionality.

My first power heads that I could not afford, a collector I worked with sometimes way back gave them to me, these changed my ways from air pumps and they lasted, one at 18 years and the next at just under 20 years.

If your skimmer is smallish like mine, your phos reduction ways has to be bigger.

This is mine after around 8 to 10 days, only a slightly wet type of skimming I do, its thick that stuff in there.

skim-_zpsf9uu70rd.jpg

Hi, do you have any tips, pic or link to build a skimmer on your own?

I have a spare pump, and an air style skimmer to try ;)

[MENTION=5581]Harris.[/MENTION]

Check this one out. It's a great skimmer for a great price.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-trader-13/jns-vs1-hang-skimmer-122844/

You can do some research on it online. They re-brand it in the USA as Aquamaxx. So if you search Aquamaxx VS1 you should see some good info about it.

Cheers,

Beau