ash

Ideas and thoughts filter for IBC for breeding

Looking at setting up one of my rainwater collection IBCs I already have to breed macrobrachium australiense.

they are found in the local creeks and streams around me so know they will handle cooler water temps. Do you reckon just an extra large sponge filter with a about a 1500- 2000lph powerhead on top of it.... Thoughts?

I would just run it off an airpump, add a large airstone and some plants. Hornwort or watersprite would work well floating. Main problem would be dragonfly nymphs eating the fry. But maybe the adult shrimp would eat the nymphs?

You could also make an overhead filter with your powerhead and a basket or pvc piping.

Cheers mick

Yeah cheers, i found a couple of big black tubs and a plastic 2 drawer system tucked away in the garage doing nothing so am going to make an over head wet/dry trickle filter, will be simple but effective. Mozzies and dragonflys won't be a problem as it will have a sealed access hatch and the over flow and water inlet already have aluminum fly mesh over them as the ibc is in a bay of four that I have setup for collecting rainwater...

@smicko Will those plants you mentioned grow in diffused daylight? The Ibc is white so does let some light through but not direct sun light...

Edited by ash

Probably not, i was thinking the top was cut off. But the overhead wet/dry will do plenty of filtering for them, It's a really small bioload you could put a plant in the filter I've seen a few people grow plants out of overheads. Not sure on the names of them but I'm sure someone here will no something that can grow with wet roots all the time.

I would throw some pipes or caves in the tank to give them somewhere to hide after moulting, they can be attacked when the shell is soft, also gives the females hiding space while they are berried.

Cheers mick