ORANGEMELLY

injured fish and ich - SALT FOR ICH AND INJURY??

Hi everyone..I must be a real fish keeper now as am encountering my first case of ich. I can see small white dots, around 6 of them, like sugar, on my oscar. As she /he is mostly black they are standing out. I cannot see it on other fish, but they are a much lighter colouration. Also, this morning my other oscar "seven" decided she would attempt to leap from tank but only succeeded in smashing into lid and now has a small flap of skin hanging from her face. I was wondering if it would be best to just treat all fish at same time including seven, with salt? I normally use rock salt in my mbuna tank but have not added any at any time to my south and central american tank. I am also not sure how they will react or if it is safe for them. In the tank, which is a 75G, I have all juvenilles: chocolate cichlid, black belt, 2 oscars and a geophagus brazillines plus several corydoras. Is salt okay with these fish? and, how much salt should I use? Tank temp is currently sitting on 25.6C. I was about to do a water change; would it be more prudent to add salt after change? I am guessing yes. Thanks for your help guys.

I went with melafix..I looked into it, and that product is apparently okay with corydoras...I couldnt catch seven...for a weak and sick little fish she sure knows how to still avoid the net...I did a 30% water change and then added the melafix...it was more for sevens benefit than anybody elses..but i figured it also couldn't hurt them either ...not sure if it is ich i am dealing with..it looks like it but there is only a handful of small white dots scattered over body on other oscar...I cannot see them on anyone else..including seven...i hope seven makes it through the night...she is a tough little fish.

Raise your temp to 30 degrees for at least a week it will kill the whitespot (Ich) and terminate its life cycle. The melafix will take care of the injury. If your water changes are going to make your tank temp dip significantly I would not bother with water changes for the week or so. You need to maintain 30 to kill the whitespot. No harm will come to your fish during this time.

Raising temp to 30 doesn't "kill" the white spot, it speeds up the life cycle and eventually die off

Raising temp to 32 will kill Ich... I am aware that 30 dog will stop the reproductive cycle thereby "killing" the parasite... I was trying to keep it simple...... No need to be a smartarse.

Seven (my oscar) has lost an eye....she had two eyes this morning and was eating despite the damage from her collision with the lid...so either the damage was worse than I thought or someone has attacked her...I think she will be dead by the morning...she is looking in pretty bad shape.