+1 on RIT Dye by why the primer Briss? The dye should directly stain the plastic black. I just did a bunch of the stainless overflows that have the white nylon thread on the bottom. Simmer in a saucepan of RIT dye + water + a little vinegar (helps the dye get into the plastic). Now beautifully jet black and because its a dye that soaks into the plastic it will never chip off. No drying time - just soak until the water remains clear (mine took abut 20 mins to wash out excess dye). I'm about to do some PVC pipe this week also - see below - didnt work well on the PVC at all.

20150625_084042.jpg

The other option is auto interior vinyl dye - sold at auto shops for recolouring the interior of cars. It comes in a spray can so much better for bigger objects or plastic that cant handle simmering in a saucepan - again just like RIT because its a dye it soaks into the plastic and wont chip/flake. People used to use it to recolour white plastic computer parts (back when everything was beige).

edit: RIT dye worked on the nylon strainers but not on PVC.

Edited by Grubs

Thanks Grubs,will try the boiling method,I used the primer because like the vinegar it etches into the pvc and then I could paint the long lengths of pvc but Thanks to aquaholic99 I now know how to dye the lengths! :beer:

Ok I just tried RIT dye on PVC tonight and it didn't work. Firstly getting the water to a simmer meant the 90mm stormwater PVC I was dying started to deform in the heat. Secondly the dye didn't absorb into the PVC much at all. I now have pale grey PVC.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos that recommend acetone in the dye so I'll try that (when it cools)... otherwise its off to autobahn for a spray can of vinyl dye.

Edited by Grubs