ash

plants for inside an IBC?

The IBC is for breeding freshwater shrimp. It will have a hatch for access but will be closed all the time.

the tank is outside but does not get any direct sunlight on it.

Which type of plants if any would grow in these conditions? Doesn't need to be anything fancy, even just some elodea if it would survive as I can source that in massive quantities.

Cant be free floating due to overflow pipe mosquito screen would get blocked.

something I could put in pots would be good....

I would use an inside T for your overflow. You don't want the overflow at surface level as it will constantly clog. The upper end of T can be left open as a high water emergency drain.

Put your air lift under the overflow to reduce clogging further. You will get algae growing if it's outside unless you wrap some roof sarking which will help with summer temperatures and winter drops.

Java moss or algae is good for shrimp and outside IBC s. Java fern or anubius spp are also good in low light.

Some good info cheers, the bank of IBCs has been setup for the last 4 years so am just using what I have, the overflow is a 90mmpipe with Mozzie screen, this overflow goes to storm water drain, not the sump. The sump will be ontop of the Ibc trickling back down into it fed by a sump pump. Anubis sounds like a good option seen it attached to timber, looks like a good solid plant and isn't messy. I'm expecting a bit of algae to grow once nitrate levels start to rise which will be good for the shrimp, so I guess it will be abit of trial and error as too how much plant to have so that there's enough nitrate to grow algea but not so many plants that they consume it all. Might start a journal thread somewhere.... Thanks again (any further ideas, keep em coming).

:)