FREDDY FISHEAD

how to kill blue green algae

Boyds Chemiclean. Gets rid of BGA for good. Don't waste your time and money on anything else.

Correction: it is BOYDS not Bonds. Thanks for pointing it out @ponytail

Edited by bluebelle

Sorry to hack in, how about green hair algea [MENTION=6434]bluebelle[/MENTION]?

I used to have a problem with that 2years ago. All gone thanks to some swordtails, they simply love that algae.

I've been using Seachems Flourish Excel sparingly since I started my little tank. I've read a few treads where some users think it has some algaecide properties. I don't believe I have any algae issues but the tank is only relatively new. The bottle says is major ingredient is polycycloglutaracetal and the SMDS says its an acetal form of 1,5 pentanedial.

I've been using Seachems Flourish Excel sparingly since I started my little tank. I've read a few treads where some users think it has some algaecide properties. I don't believe I have any algae issues but the tank is only relatively new. The bottle says is major ingredient is polycycloglutaracetal and the SMDS says its an acetal form of 1,5 pentanedial.

Blue Green Algae is not an algae (despite the name), but a bacteria, so will not react to any algaecides.

Flourish Excel is liquid carbon, used as plant fertiliser, some people believe it also kills algae.

Thanks bluebelle, I was thinking of adding that, cyanobacteria or cyanophyta, a photosynthetic bacterium. I guess it helps to know what your dealing with in order to get rid of it. I would have thought that a algaecide or herbicide would still be affective.

I have been fighting Cyanobacteria for several months originally in 3 tanks but now in 4 .

1st thing I found was that reducing the light and CO2 caused the Cyanobacteria to bloom - covering all my plants and killing most of them in a week - Bad Idea ! Cyanobacteria needs less light than the plants .

2nd In my instance only tanks with red EcoComplete plant substrate were affected - Black planted substrate was not ( weird ! )

3rd one of the tanks was stripped the substrate ( ecocomplete ) was washed thoroughly and the tank cleaned with Hydrogen peroxide and set up again with the washed Ecocomplete and aged tapwater - Cyanobacteria is back after 3 weeks .

My Rhadinocentrus tank is being left alone except cleaning the glass and twice weekly 50 litre waterchanges - this is because I have fry in the tank that I have no wish to lose . Strangely after all the mucking around in the other tanks this one is the only one recovering . It is starting to get hair algae and as the hair algae increases the Cyanobacteria decreases .

These tanks all have one thing in common - they all have eco complete as substrate - 3 out of 4 have fluval LED lights the fourth has a twin tube T8 with 2@NEC aquarium tubes .

I tried "easylife " Blue Exit which had no noticeable effect .

This is still ongoing so I will have to see where it takes me .

Edit - @bluebelle were you Referring to Boyd's Chemi-Clean ?

Edited by pony-tail
missed something

Yes @ponytail, it is Boyds chemiclean, thanks for pointing out my mistake.

I also tried Blue Exit at first, it did absolutely nothing. Chemiclean is worth trying, it cleared my tank like magic.

Ok will I used Microbe lift defend and a couple of times doing big water changes and reducing light for a couple of days and the blue green is dying back considerably but not dead. I think this product makes it easier to vacuum it out otherwise it sticks to the sand

If it's really bad I would remove as much as possible by hand before any treatment.

It would be interesting to know if your strategy works and for how long. Please keep us updated.