Paul Bingham

Canister with Marine Pure?

I am looking at setting up my 40cm cube as a marine tank. I bought this to make it into a planted tank but the wife has her heart set on having a nano reef. I have a small aquel 800 canister filter full of marine pure spheres and was thinking of removing the sponges and running it with the glass lily pipes and a hydor inline heater. There will also be as much live rock as i can fit while still looking good.

Would this work, or would it still be a "NITRATE FACTORY"? I can't see this being any different to using Marine Pure in a sump and people seem to love using it in that type of situation.

Things aren’t usually nitrate factories; they become those via biofilm formation and these formations holding onto particles and then there is precipitation!

If it’s a gap of any kind with low oxygen levels in it, like in live rock or in manmade media like you are talking about or in beds/substrates, in that you have the need for nitrate reduction by nothing getting in to clog it, or it fails! Once it is failing it is now making the nasties!

Remaining unclogged, that’s great stuff at hard working on separating the nitrate atom using up the oxygen leaving only nitrogen and that's good!

Clogged or a non porus area takes all that is dead only to nitrate and that’s great, you have to take it all to nitrate, but when it can’t go any further, that’s your nitrate factory!!

Edited by liquidg

Woah.

Back up G's!

Aint no one throwing out no sponges.

And as to marine pure, even a single litre would handle the tanks bio fine. How many balls?

So heres the deal.

Keep the sponges (1 tray) and have them before the marine pure. After the marine pure get a bag of nitra-guard in there.

So heres the way it works......

Each water change you clean the sponge section of the canister in a bucket of water taken from the aquarium. This prevents debris building up and causing a nitrate leech. I would be finding a container so you can mix up a decent amount of water at once.... even though water changes are going to be small.... that way will last a long time. 10litre water changes will likely be fine.

The trick is to water change and canister clean frequently. Do it every 2 weeks and your water quality will likely be amazingly good. Add in ro water for topups, a chiller, good lights...... and you have a nice reef in the making.

Every few months check on the nitra-guard. As it erodes away, add more fresh. It does take weeks to mature so dont let it run out. Once mature you will have a canister that eats nitrates!

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Carbon dosing is not magic, its bioaccumulation. And thats the best type of filtration there is. The other types, mechanical and chemical are more expensive and laborious.

I would add a wavemaker, maybe a little hydor 900lph or something similar.

And as a decadent westerner, I dont nano without an auto topup system. I need to automate enough to be able to leave the tank for at least a week.

Woah.

Back up G's!

Aint no one throwing out no sponges.

And as to marine pure, even a single litre would handle the tanks bio fine. How many balls?

So heres the deal.

Keep the sponges (1 tray) and have them before the marine pure. After the marine pure get a bag of nitra-guard in there.

So heres the way it works......

Each water change you clean the sponge section of the canister in a bucket of water taken from the aquarium. This prevents debris building up and causing a nitrate leech. I would be finding a container so you can mix up a decent amount of water at once.... even though water changes are going to be small.... that way will last a long time. 10litre water changes will likely be fine.

The trick is to water change and canister clean frequently. Do it every 2 weeks and your water quality will likely be amazingly good. Add in ro water for topups, a chiller, good lights...... and you have a nice reef in the making.

Every few months check on the nitra-guard. As it erodes away, add more fresh. It does take weeks to mature so dont let it run out. Once mature you will have a canister that eats nitrates!

I really like the idea of using a canister on a nano reef as I'm so comfortable and familiar with a canister filter. It's just a bit worrying to have to be so diligent and opening it up to clean it twice a month when you're used to doing twice a year!

With surface agitation there is no need to worry about the oxygen demand of carbon dosing. We dont freak out that ammonia and nitrite conversion uses oxygen. So why the panic over nitrate and phosphate conversion? The addition of the wavemaker will take care of extra oxygen demand and degas any co2 build up.

As to cleaning the canister every 2 weeks..... its an easy canister to clean. I would rather clean it every 2 weeks than clean a filter sock every 2 days.

Yes the sponge will become bioactive, and it will stay that way too as long as its not cleaned in tap water.

As to nitra-guard in fresh water....... current setup gets months between cleans. Lotta mulm man.... but then thats the idea.

This isnt something new and crazy. We have been using it for years now.

Why are you asking me what they mean? Ask the inventor. He posts on MASA.

Microbes converting things into brown sludge is really not that complicated. Either is algae converting things into green sludge. Choose a team really. Both are viable methods of nutrient bioaccumulation.

AKA farming.

Or use chemical filtration.

Heck continual water changes work great.

People over complicate things in this hobby.

And while I enjoy it..... it is often just done to make us seem smart.

Nitraguard converts nitrate into brown muck that then gets trapped in your coarse filter sponge, fine filter pads or sock, or skimmer skimmate.

Not sure how I can simplify it more than that

[MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION]@ageofaquriums could you plz explain that in smaller words

I understand you right up till "microbes convert"

As for choosing a team ....I'll sit on the fence... Or just bet on both.

Now I have something on my top shelve care to help lift it dwn ???

It may or May not be the little book of big knives but that's besides the point....

Is it wrong I have that book lol? By a guy named Chris McNab.

Happy to help with top shelf mission thats where all the best drama is kept :)

Smaller words?

Brown and green slime, are both fish waste that has been made more solid AND more safe for fish. This slime is not pretty to look at, but without it none of the pretty things can survive. You grow nicer roses with better dirt.

:D

Everything is connected..... but an aquarium is a game.

It is real nature but it is not proportional.

We aim for 100% beauty and 0% utility.

But nature is 1% beauty and 99% utility.

Your tank is your chance to create heaven on earth.

To break the rules of the wild...... but we do so within limits.

And there is the game.

To create what we dream..... and to hide the limits by flaunting the rules of the wild we break.

Take away the human, and the aquarium fails.

Take away the human, and the wild expands.

There are limits..... and they can be met in many different ways. Most are the same way..... with a different slant. And all ways are based on natural systems. We dont invent them, we just simplify them down to basics that can be simulated in an aquarium.

Boring yes....

And yet, from that comes beauty.

Its like learning to play an instrument.

You can be good at it... REALLY good at it...... BUT that doesnt mean you have found the one way to play it.