UnexplainedWays

The great snail war, how to win some battles?

To get it out of the way, yes i know i will never completely get rid of them but i just want less of em.

So, I've got a shrimp tank thats overrun with snails and im after ideas on how to get rid of some. I am manually pulling the big ones out but that won't do much.

I've got some snail traps on the way so hopefully that will help but I'm yet to try. I've tried the plastic bottle cut off an inverted trick but caught way to many little shrimp to pick out.

I was thinking of leaving a big net in there, gravel syphon them into the tube and drop them into the net.

Any other ideas?

kuhli loaches work a treat and wont hurt the shrimp, however will only eat snails half the size of a 5c coin

When i was looking into fish to put in everything says ottos are the only safe ones. Kuhis will only knock off little ones but while im trying to build numbers i can't put them in.

When im at a decent number I'll wack em in cause i think they look cool.

On the Loach front, whats overall a better species for Snail population control?

Yo-yo seem to be smaller and the more I read the more they are suited to snail patrol...

Clowns - I'm reading that they do the job but not as good as yoyo? Also their size is a big factor?

Kuhli - I can't find anything on how a Kuhli loach eat snails? Harrison stated that they only eat tiny ones but how effective are they?

I've gone for yo yo's in a 4ft rather than clowns just to keep the size down. They have cleaned up pond and ramshorn snails but not MTS. Get on well with other fish, don't bother sick fish and all the usual loachy behaviour. The only downside is mine jump. I has Perspex over the tank with little Perspex triangles cut out for feeding and have lost a few to jumping out this gap if I don't put the triangle back each night.

I have seen dwarf loaches suggested as well for snail control in small tanks.

I started feeding my shrimp 'shrimp snow', but the problem was all the snails jumped on it and didn't move. I came up with this idea for it, the shrimp can swim up to it and feed whenever they want, some choose to stay on the ground and get the scraps but at least the snails can't get complete access to it.

Stay tuned, i have other ideas....

post-5578-14711633874065_thumb.jpg

post-5578-14711633874247_thumb.jpg