ash

Diy trickle filter for outdoor live shrimp breeding IBC

Had the day off due to rain so knocked up the trickle filter for my live shrimp breeding Ibc. They will be used as feeders for my toga and bass and for bass fishing. Had most of the gear in the garage and bought the rest of what I needed. A few containers with holes drilled, Perspex drip tray powered by a 4500lph pump. I utilized an Ibc from the four I use for collecting rainwater. Added some seeded media so just have to let things run in for a while and then I'll start adding some shrimp.

Pictures are self explanatory.

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

What shrimp are you keeping?

I'd considered M. rosenbergii for something similar but apparently they are highly cannibalistic. But damn it would be nice to have some giant prawns on hand :)

M, Rosenbergii is on the DPI QLD fisheries list and unfortunately / or fortunately whichever way you look at it, have a 10 per person possession limit, at anytime. I spoke to a qld fisheries officer on the phone and asked what if I had 10 and then they breed and I have 10,000? Limit is 10 any more your breaking the law and a risk a fine, he said of its not listed on the dpi website you can take or posess as many as you like, which the M. Australienses isn't listed. :)

I love how dpi look at things, you would think that if something is that rare that it has a possession limit they would encourage people to breed them and take pressure of wild stock.

Maybe I'm thinking too logically lol.

Cheers mick

There is a loophole if you want to argue with them. the take and possession limits is qualified to:

"Anglers do not require a licence to fish recreationally in Queensland, except if fishing in some stocked impoundments. The content below provides detailed information on anglers' responsibilities when fishing in fresh waters and tidal waters. Fishing rules apply to all ages but children should be of an age where they can be responsible for the use of their own fishing gear."

if you take and possess 10, then you are doing it legally. if that 10 breeds and give you 10k, that will be beyond the rules as you are not fishing it out from "freshwater and tidal waters".

Cherabins

Cherabins No limit Combined limit of 10 in total of both species: Macrobrachium lar and M. rosenbergii

The DPI Agent may have been narrow minded and strictly interpreted the 10 as purely 10 irrespective on how you got that 10.

I would have been hot on their trail as I have 4 saratoga (two are below 50cm) on my tank before that i bought from sellers and didn't catch it on the waterways.

Saratoga

Northern 50 min Combined limit of 1 in total of northern and southern saratoga

Southern 50 min Combined limit of 1 in total of northern and southern saratoga

Just my thoughts.

agreed, it would be a bit different if you were at the waters edge with an IBC on a trailer with thousands of them lol

I'm sure if you wanted to "legally" breed and possess more than 10 at home there would be some sort of permit or license. The rules are a little bendy especially the way you have shown, however they could just argue back, how do we know you haven't been collecting them from the wild for the last 10years? Prove it.

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a bag limit on them.

M. rosenbergii are pretty hard to aquaculture due to cannibalism and also needing salt/brackish to reproduce. They are pretty popular in SE Asia but from what I've read they have very mixed results.

M. australiense are probably alot easier (and more readily available....) just lacking that "single prawn to a dinner plate" factor, which was the attraction to rosenbergii :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREXGNEHo7zjzxmlj4B91FsB5Cywqt3EJ2XqLWJw28wQs2_rUZH

agreed, it would be a bit different if you were at the waters edge with an IBC on a trailer with thousands of them lol

I'm sure if you wanted to "legally" breed and possess more than 10 at home there would be some sort of permit or license. The rules are a little bendy especially the way you have shown, however they could just argue back, how do we know you haven't been collecting them from the wild for the last 10years? Prove it.

not sure of the rules on licensing, but for purposes of evidence, you're ibc and breeding set up will be sufficient to establish the fact that you are sourcing the M. rosenbergii from other means (than collecting/fishing it on waterways). I would personally send the DPI a formal letter saying that i have a breeding system for this specific specimen.

i think their policing power applies on boundaries close to waterways, where they can get people red-handed - caught in the act. They wouldn't have the resources to go door knocking just to see if you possess more than what is allowed.

i'll leave it up to you how you want to manage it.

It's all good I'm only collecting and breeding a species not listed = no possession limits :)

Bear in mind a permit is required to collect wild caught specimens for use as brood stock...

Also under the new regs it is illegal to use your captive Macros as live bait.

Edited by none

Not according to dpi, I specifically asked last week speaking to a fisheries officer if I could take them and breed them and explained exactly what I was doing with them and they said go ahead no problem. They're not in an aquarium or being kept in a container that's been used for ornamental fish, kept and water changed with rainwater, I don't see a problem.

Besides, many freshwater fisherman, as well as some charters organizations, used or did use freshwater shrimp purchased from aquariums for the convenience. These are for personal use and I have no intention of selling any, and I'll use them according to how dpi fisheries have specifically said I am allowed to do.

Bear in mind a permit is required to collect wild caught specimens for use as brood stock...

I haven't seen any legislation regarding this but I would think this would apply to the species that are listed and have possession limits applied to them.

https://publications.qld.gov.au/storage/f/2014-02-12T23%3A55%3A11.987Z/broodstock-instructions.pdf

Reading that you are right and may be exempt.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/live-bait

Regs regarding live bait changed Feb 2015. The draft regs I read banned the use of live macros except where taken from the drainage system where they are being used. I couldn't find a reference to this in a quick search but maybe just double check

Cheers

Edited by none

it's not in writing, so to speak, because the species is not a listed species. Beleive me, I've done the research and spoken to the appropriate authorities so that I know what I'm doing is legal, and I have peace of mind I'm doing the right thing ;)

:focus: The Trickle Filter looks good mate

yes it do look good don't it and so simple to good job mate

As for the dpi part of the thread ,you'll find it only when you are taking fish shrimp even plants from a said waterway that the species bag limit comes it to play. correct me if i'm wrong but it only says you can't sell your catch as cash profit,put simple you can do as you please with your catch,eat it, swap it for goods ,or simple give it to the neighbors,other than than as long as you got council are happy you can grow out and breed anything in your back yard quite legally as long as you can show where your brood stock came from

my 2 bob

cheers Paul