pony-tail

Rhadinocentrus fry macro pics

I have been playing with a new toy ( Micro-Nikkor 60mm lens )

The pics are at best ok and were taken with only the strip lights on the tank .

The pics are of very small Rhadinocentrus ornatus fry .

Not sure if anybody would be interested but here goes !

post-1094-14711633780353_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711633780514_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711633780656_thumb.jpg

post-1094-14711633780786_thumb.jpg

Cool shots :) Gives me an idea what to look for. I have rhads and m. australis in same tank and I am hoping both are spawning. Have 42 fry that hatched 2 days ago. Fingers crossed they are a mix of both :D

How old are the fry in the photos?

As for the macro shots, macro is very hard to get right of the bat so well done! Lots of practice will help you in future shots. I also suggest you try and either set up a lot of light over the tank or use a flash to light things up. A lot of light means you can use a fast shutter speed which prevents blur. I also suggest manual focus on one area you know the fry are in and wait for them, easiest way to get them in focus :) If you have a screen on your camera use it and zoom in with it to help get focus right on the eye. Those are my macro tips :)

As for my recently posted pics of Hydra that I found in my Rhad tank - does anybody know of an effective way of killing these ?

If not I will have to go to bunnings and get some copper sulphate - CuSO4 is just so risky !

No Planaria, if you can get your hands on some, I reckon would do it. Its an invert, anything that kills inverts . I would avoid plumbing grade Copper Sulphate and just use some Snail rid.

Yeah 0.2mg/litre is tricky to measure out accurately !

I will be removing the fish any way - Rhads can be a bit touchy with any medication !