benbrisbane

Help needed asap with my mangrove jack

Hey guys I purchased a mangrove jack around 2 weeks ago and have just noticed he seems to be breathing quiet heavily but I have no idea whats causing it. its around 15cms and is in a 6ft tank with a pair of jaguar cichlids and 2 plecos (temporary). None of my other fish seem to be affected at all just the jack. I saw him scratch himself on a rock the other day aswell. I was thinking possibly gill flukes but everywhere ive read on the net says he should also be listless, if anything hes the complete opposite he never stops so im not sure. Anybody have any ideas on what this could be ? other then the rapid breathing he seems to be fine. no visible marks or damage and eating well.

thanks for the quick reply mate. Im using a api 5 in 1 test strip kit .

GH =180 ppm (could be higher as that's as high as graph goes but colour is pretty much spot on with the chart)

KH= 40-80 ppm

PH= 6.5. ive checked with 3 different kits test strips and drops were this but elec meter was 7.2 so im guessing meter needs calibrating.

NO2= 0

NO3= 20 to 40 closer to the 20 though.

Tank temperature is 25 degrees

Fix the pH for starters. Jacks require hard, alkaline water. 7.8 should be considered the minimum. Make changes slowly though otherwise you will cause pH shock.

Edited by none

Get an ammonia test. Worth crossing that off as a possible. Get the jack a lurk to chill in. Also probably worth getting a spade from bunnings to get a head start on graves for the jag ect. Jacks dont really like to share......

Hmmm.. want to wager on that @Donny@ageofaquariums? LOL Depends so much on the individual Jack but there are so many that don't live up to their reputation - I'd wager on the Jags ESPECIALLY as they are a pair ;-)

Edited by none

How much coral should i be looking at buying? My local shops recommending 20kg for my tank size and running it in my substrate as im using a canister filter and theres no way ill fit that much in there. Tanks around 600 to 700 litres (6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft) but waterlines around 6 inches from top of the tank.