docians

Water changes- python/ aqueon equivalents in Australia

Just buy some clear tubing, no need for anything fancy, i use clear tubing, an old return pump and large container for water mixing.

I have upgraded to a 200L drum now.

Sorry Sam

Should have mentioned that I'm an absolute noon to fishkeeping. Is there a link to which I could see what you describe. I've looked up YouTube and they talk about water changers.

How do I use the tubing and the pump? Perhaps check Bunnings out? Thanks :)

My procedure is as follows:

1) Fill 200L drum with Water... Tank 1 has a 120L change, Tank 2 a 60L change.

2) Add Prime or equivalent and Cichlid buffers/salts.

3) Use pump to mix water

4) Connect gravel vac to 25mm line and drain 120L from Tank 1

5) Move gravel vac to tank 2 and drain 60L

6) Connect pump to 25mm hose and stick in tank 1 securely, I have a pre-made hard pvc pipe for this

7) Fill tank 1 to weir overflow

8) Move hose to tank 2 and put 60L in

Doneski, crack a beer... except I don't drink, stick on the footy... except I don't watch footy, umm, I don't know what folks do these days

I don't like adding tap water directly to my tank, much rather it sit and age in a drum, you can buy relatively cheap 125L plastic containers from hardware stores, along with flexible tubing... the tubing can then be stored in the container! double bonus!!

My procedure is as follows:

1) Fill 200L drum with Water... Tank 1 has a 120L change, Tank 2 a 60L change.

2) Add Prime or equivalent and Cichlid buffers/salts.

3) Use pump to mix water

4) Connect gravel vac to 25mm line and drain 120L from Tank 1

5) Move gravel vac to tank 2 and drain 60L

6) Connect pump to 25mm hose and stick in tank 1 securely, I have a pre-made hard pvc pipe for this

7) Fill tank 1 to weir overflow

8) Move hose to tank 2 and put 60L in

Doneski, crack a beer... except I don't drink, stick on the footy... except I don't watch footy, umm, I don't know what folks do these days

A few questions, if you dont mind Plecosam

1. 200L drum available at a Hardware shop?

3. I'm assuming pump is a submersible pond pump. Apart from mixing water does it help in transfer of water?

4. Gravel vac- I'm assuming it will drain into the sink (I have no back yard ) :(

6. Pump to hose, does it flow manually or do I use the pond pump for this?

Thanks in advance

1.) I purchased the drum from a hardware store… Bunnings to be precise, but you can use rectangular plastic storage containers as well, I use the drum now and the pump is external connected via external tubing. I mix salts in the drum and no water is wasted as the submersible pump will not fully empty the container if that makes sense.

2.) Yes submersible pond pump, I run mine externally now and the pump inlet is lower than the drum outlet so water wastage is minimal. If you use a rectangular container some water will be left in the drum once the pump pickup starts sucking air.

3.) No, gravel vac is drained into the 25mm plastic hose which I run out into the garden.

4.) Pump to hose, yes the pond pump will empty your container or your drum, this way you can age your water and not expose your fish to chlorine… chloramine.

Thanks!

1.) I purchased the drum from a hardware store… Bunnings to be precise, but you can use rectangular plastic storage containers as well, I use the drum now and the pump is external connected via external tubing. I mix salts in the drum and no water is wasted as the submersible pump will not fully empty the container if that makes sense.

2.) Yes submersible pond pump, I run mine externally now and the pump inlet is lower than the drum outlet so water wastage is minimal. If you use a rectangular container some water will be left in the drum once the pump pickup starts sucking air.

3.) No, gravel vac is drained into the 25mm plastic hose which I run out into the garden.

4.) Pump to hose, yes the pond pump will empty your container or your drum, this way you can age your water and not expose your fish to chlorine… chloramine.

Thanks!

thanks for the info mate

been to bunnings today

they did have some submersible pumps that may do the trick

could I ask what your pump model is- so I can get one that can run externally?

cheers bud