liquidg

My first success with this fish!

These gorgeous guys that are sickeningly harmless and have no name at this stage due to confusion in the past and currently of them possibly being the emervii, which it is not! There is a lot of this sort of thing go on with the hobby and diving!

The difference is very obvious but what can you do, it may be named one day but as yet this little auzy is a fish with no name, lol.

The first time I kept one of these fish was at least 30 years ago, it is in an old video I have of my first actual reef tank, but through all these years I have never been able to keep one for more then a month or so!

The reason is i would not go to the trouble of ensuring they were safe in my tanks, but after Oswald wiped out my tanks I started harmlessing, “if you could call that a word” my tanks and finished mid last year and put one in.

I see one here and there and they are quite common at most sites and in quite shallow waters as well, just hard to catch and find once they take off or see before they hide.

They live in certain environments that they use very well for cover.

You see them in the shops at times, well I have only seen them in Pet cities tanks but they must be elsewhere at times for sale.

If they can jump out if nasty fish are there they will, if any fish have attitudes they get bullied and fin nipped to death, if anything in any way is potentially nasty, “they die”, that’s why their full size of 7 to 8 inches, I have never seen!

They eat anything you give to them and harm “nothing in any way”, they are the true food chain fish.

Most whiptails are just that and the fillets or whole are great for bait, but these guys are the extreme of this!

I was a bit worried it was growing to fast for my tanks but it has slowed now I have control of my tanks temperature.

If you ever see one for sale, if your tank is filled with harmless life, get one, so pretty, they are always visible and so harmless.

whip-tail-best-_zpsa34dtbqq.jpg

So how many have you killed over the years?

How many marine life forms have died as a result of your hobby directly and indirectly?

Better still how many over all marine life forms have all researches as such and hobbyists with marines killed say since 1980 and how many have shops killed and importers killed and so on from back then till now, eventually every single one taken from the ocean is dead, which I imagine would be in the billions upon billions of them, but you want to know about my achievements with the hobby good and bad, aawwwwww i feel special now!

The good is I know heaps about them now, the bad is not all lived unless a few I gave away because they were suffering back then, but then i give heaps away when finished with or sick of. not allowed to put them back into the ocean!!!

Edited by liquidg

I know that very many marine life forms have perished just to satisfy my taste buds and many many more are destined to do so because I am not a red meat eater and my primary meat source is seafood ( due to budget restraints mostly fish ) -

and the thing with seafood is the more seafood I see the more I want to eat . It is unfortunate for the poor creatures that they taste so good . But too bad my taste buds just say more ! ( most likely contributing to my current weight issues )

So -- many more marine critters to die yet for my gastronomical excesses !

I know that very many marine life forms have perished just to satisfy my taste buds and many many more are destined to do so because I am not a red meat eater and my primary meat source is seafood ( due to budget restraints mostly fish ) -

and the thing with seafood is the more seafood I see the more I want to eat . It is unfortunate for the poor creatures that they taste so good . But too bad my taste buds just say more ! ( most likely contributing to my current weight issues )

So -- many more marine critters to die yet for my gastronomical excesses !

What are you talking about, no need to feel bad,lol, sea food is mostly very good for us.

I try to eat some fish each day and what i typed before was a reply only, aquarium pets die, s--t happens!

We can only try!

My fav as with many folks is squid, mmmmm, prob is i have a fatty liver to failing pancreas to diabetes and squid equates to massive amounts of cholesterol from a malfunctioning liver.

Edited by liquidg

Is fishkeeping cruel?

We keep fish in a tiny environment compared to their natural habitat.

Are we being cruel to fish and other aquarium live inhabitants to satisfy our hobby and satisfaction?

I am prepared to be shot down!

Is fishkeeping cruel?

We keep fish in a tiny environment compared to their natural habitat.

Are we being cruel to fish and other aquarium live inhabitants to satisfy our hobby and satisfaction?

I am prepared to be shot down!

In a way yes!

Some marine fish are very intelligent compared to many others so I would imagine that some do suffer on a very tiny emotional scale due to in part, low body temperature.

Mammals are the smarter and more emotional creatures on average, in fact the beluga whale they believe is the smartest creature by far, much more so then us, we win/dominate over all due to the brain, body structure over all combination, we can change all that is around us to suit us and make weapons, nothing else can.

What enables us to semi justify keeping them as prisoners and killing them via our form of kindness is that through planktonic dispersal and the incredible mass production machine the ocean is will always keep most marine fish around.

Inverts, well they will always pay the price of change before fish will.

While the oceans currents, “for aquarium fish this is”, keep functioning and there will remain always a few green zones for us here is east auz with in the main east auzy current stream, over all, all will be fine!

No actual long term harm done!

Edited by liquidg

Any fish he has taken from the wild could have been eaten alive or bitten in half if it wasn't given a new home. The natural environment can be a very cruel place..

The predators still have to eat - the one you save may condemn another. Two down instead of one. - Just a thought - can't save em all.