Chambo

P Bass not eating??

Picked up some P Bass around 12cm 3 weeks ago, and they're not eating... Feeding the same pellets, hikari sticks & cichlid pellets, but they won't even look at it.

Tried bloodworms, and they'll just float past their face.

WTF is going on? Surely they wouldn't be able to survive 3wks without food.

What can I try to get them to eat before they die?

WTF is going on? Surely they wouldn't be able to survive 3wks without food.

Fish "Can" survive extended periods without food. Whilst it's not commonly known - fish that are imported into Australia (not P.B) have often gone far more than three weeks without food. Your first thing needs to be ensuring the water is right and the fish are not diseased. You could try small bits of peeled prawn etc., but really if they are seriously emaciated and looking like they are going to die then definately I would be giving them live food so at least they can put on some weight. The problem is the P.B I have seen in shops from wholesalers are already highly emaciated - starving - obviously not feeding for a very extended time. Hard to bring fish like that back with anything other than live. Live shrimp - fish - whatever - just get them feeding. If they are not looking super skinny then you ahave more time to play with but definately rule out water issues and disease. If they are 12cm like you say they have some size to them and are not going to starve anywhere near as quickly as the small ones getting around. Maybe post a pic?

Agreed they can go fore a long time without food... Just keep being patient and dont give up :) i had a polleni that did not eat for 2 months... Now it eats like a champion. I put it down to getting dither fish that engages their competiveness and shows them that pellets r food... And if u dont eat em all the other fish will.

Another good way to get them interested in pellets is to soak them in garlic juice... Fish go insane for the smell of garlic :P. Definately would try fresh seafood as well. My pbass would only eat pellets and not seafood however they would smash a prawn if the tail was left on... Think they thought it was live that way... But leaving the tail on might make the prawn too big if they r only 12cm