Freshwater Puffers

Does anyone know if there are any fresh water puffer fish that are: legal in Australia, where to get them or do you have any?

I am just curious as I know that they are available in America but, information is hard to find about them in Aus. or is outdated.

:)

The puffers available in Australia are native and none are true "fresh water". Many, many species are brackish and even one coral reef species inhabits low salinity estuarys when young. All require very hard, alkaline water and all require salt if they are to be maintained long term. The biggest problem with them - they release a toxin from their skin if stressed that will kill everything in the tank - including the puffers. Hard to recommend tankmates due to this factor and also their tendency to nip fins. Ideally a single species tank would be best although you could try other brackish species. The salinity required varies with species but they are not a beginners fish.

Iv caught them in brakish water and transfered them slowly to fresh and they lived for ages,untill I worked out it was eating my other cichlids fins while they were sleeping at night. So had no option but to release again.

Iv caught them in brakish water and transfered them slowly to fresh and they lived for ages,untill I worked out it was eating my other cichlids fins while they were sleeping at night. So had no option but to release again.

U got bigger balls then me posting that on a public forum ;)

U got bigger balls then me posting that on a public forum ;)

hard to prove as evidence had already been released. likely will just be a hearsay. nobody will bother.

Ahh I see !

Thank you none for your information :)

I did read somewhere that they do live in Brackish water but some do prefer freshwater but, then again it was an American website so that specific type probably wouldn't be available in Australia.

So quite a nippy fish I see. How long did they last?

Has anyone seen them for sale anywhere?

Wouldn't be looking at buying for now but, interested as I cannot find them for sale online anywhere so they must be hard to buy/find.