danceswithdingoes

Keeping goldies cool in summer?

Im keen on establishing some fancy goldfish tanks (3x18x18) however my house gets fairly warm in summer with tank temps around 30 degrees on some days, but consistently at 25-28 during summer. I know high temps arent ideal for goldies and I dont want to run chillers on each tank, and Im familiar with, extra aeration, fans on the surface and frozen water bottles but I'm hoping that some folks have kept their goldies at these temps without ill effect. Currently have dwarf mbuna so water conditions arent an issue. Any advice appreciated. :hail:

I too have a problem with tanks getting warm and also keep goldfish as well as mbuna. My tanks last summer sat around 29-30 which is quite warm. I found that the goldfish did not seem to be affected but my mbuna did not look as though they were enjoying it too much. I increased my water changes..doing smaller partial changes of 10% sometimes daily depending on the temp, rather than one larger one at weeks end. I also increased my aeration by adding more airstones and slightly elevated my tank lids by 1cm by wedging a piece of wood underneath so that the warmth could dissipate...I also opened the window nearest the tank to try and get more air to circulate around the surface..I also tinted my windows which receive the greatest amount of sun/heat to try and cool the room down some. Fans on the surface also help like you said. Would be great to have air conditioning..but this is a rental and I probably could not afford to run it anyway...

Seems to me all Qlders have the same problem.

If my swimming pool can reach 30C I have no chance of doing better with a 1200 mm tank.

All the obvious minor things already mentioned help but it's not thje real solution we need.

My tank is outside under the patio so Ac is not an option.

I have considered buying a small bar fridge & passing tank water through the fridge, using as much coiled PVC tube as possible.

I'd guess this might drop the temp by 5 C.

Not an elegant solution but if you can put up with looking at an empty (of beer) fridge ......?

It's very warm all the time in many Asia countries....Aquarium shops are full of goldfish

They stock them densely....and use lots of air stones to maximise oxygen saturation in water

thats all you need to do....;)