Slipshodman

Angel Fish Eggs - Help/Ideas

Hi all,

I have a 200 ltr community tank, i have 4 Angel fish, two that seem to have paired up.

Tonight when home from work i notice a heap of eggs on my cannister filter pipe.

within a minute the male starts to eat the eggs, the best i could do was to use a small net and put them in a guppie breeder box hanging inside the tank (well i chucked it in a soon as i decided to try and save some eggs)

The eggs aren't white but a light orange colour so they may be fertalised....

I have no more tanks to have set up as a fry tank (if I am lucky enough for them to hatch)

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

Hi all,

I have a 200 ltr community tank, i have 4 Angel fish, two that seem to have paired up.

Tonight when home from work i notice a heap of eggs on my cannister filter pipe.

within a minute the male starts to eat the eggs, the best i could do was to use a small net and put them in a guppie breeder box hanging inside the tank (well i chucked it in a soon as i decided to try and save some eggs)

The eggs aren't white but a light orange colour so they may be fertalised....

I have no more tanks to have set up as a fry tank (if I am lucky enough for them to hatch)

Any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

[MENTION=15484]Slipshodman[/MENTION]ny

If you don't have a tank to raise them in why would you want to keep them?

You could keep them in a breeding net for a short time.

But eventually they will have to go into another tank.

Angelfish are a really interesting fish when it comes to breeding.

The female lays and the male fertilises etc but after that the male will 'fan' the eggs with his fins for the four or so days before they become wrigglers (eggs that have developed eyes and extended tails). This prevents fungus from forming on the eggs, as a constant circulation of fresh water keeps the eggs in pristine condition. Now the issue with artificially raising angel fry is that this process if very difficult to mimic. Here are some solutions:

Methyl blue is a chemical used by many breeders to biochemically prevent the growth of fungus. Its pretty cheap and common, if you look for it you'll find it. This stuff works well but obviously it doesn't beat natural care.

A more 'natural' alternative is to use a shrimp (i.e cheap cherry shrimp). These will actually clean the eggs of fungus and do a pretty neat little job at keeping everything sweet. They are often used in combination with methyl blue for optimal success rates, however the methyl blue will slowly kill the shrimp, so its common to use just one low grade cherry (rough, I know. but effective)

You can also use an air pump to try and create strong water circulation around the eggs but its not the best way to artificially raise them with regard to hatch % rates.

With that in mind, here is my personal advice.

Angelfish are an easy fish to breed, and a tough fish to raise. They lay frequently (about every fortnight) but over about 50 or so of my own pair's spawns I was never able to raise a single fry past the two week stage. The reason your male ate the eggs is because there are other fish in the tank, and this is actually a very good thing. For a matched pair to become 'strong' (very effective parents) they must be tested over their first few spawns, otherwise they are likely to just abandon the eggs a few days after laying and the fry will all die. So typically a pair would be left to spawn a few times in the community tank (and eat their eggs) before any attempts are made to raise fry. So i suggest you just leave them be until maybe their fourth batch, then you could try and have them raise their eggs in a tank of their own.

Best of luck :)

Hi guys

I think some luck on my side. I can't claim good management . I have half the eggs hatch and the other half gone all fuzzy. So the plan is to set up a small fry tank for when they become free swimming . My only issue is that as i work and am away from the house probably 12 hrs a day i have no way to feed them every couple of hours . Just after ideas for feeding and food types that would suit only feeding twice a day . I have seen somewhere algae wafers work as they will just peck at it at thier leasure.

Cheers