unheatedtank

My first marine tank, please help

Forgot to mention that I got sand from the old tank with old filter materials.

I also got a RedSea test kit and a saltinity tester to keep the level around 32ppm.

The tank is quite cold now around 17C

Not tested with nitrate, nitrite and ammonia yet but I hope they should be fine from the old filters and old sand.

For live rock only start, what do I need to feed it?

Thank you

Mate you have to cycle your tank fully with the same parameters as you will when its up and running with the life you want in the tank.

Put a photo up of your live/base rock set up, a front on pic of your tank it will help see if things will do okay.

Okay parameters you need to always have-salinity at 1.024, -temperature 23c to 25c, 24c is best.

You feed a cycling tank a little fish food or any dead marine tissue, just a little like a small tea spoon per week to make the ammonia you need for the cycle to maturity.

Varied dead tissue is important!

From day one use a product to remove phosphates and from then on, and do not use a skimmer or do water changes till ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0!

Test your water each two days for nitrites till they are not showing in a test then switch on skimmer and start water changes.

Once you want to add fish or any life, check temp, salinity and add a tiny amount of reef magnesium and calcium each second day and after each water change.

Lights on for 4 hours per day till cycle is complete then 12 to 14 hours per day.

Mate you have to cycle your tank fully with the same parameters as you will when its up and running with the life you want in the tank.

Put a photo up of your live/base rock set up, a front on pic of your tank it will help see if things will do okay.

Okay parameters you need to always have-salinity at 1.024, -temperature 23c to 25c, 24c is best.

You feed a cycling tank a little fish food or any dead marine tissue, just a little like a small tea spoon per week to make the ammonia you need for the cycle to maturity.

Varied dead tissue is important!

From day one use a product to remove phosphates and from then on, and do not use a skimmer or do water changes till ammonia is 0 and nitrites are 0!

Test your water each two days for nitrites till they are not showing in a test then switch on skimmer and start water changes.

Once you want to add fish or any life, check temp, salinity and add a tiny amount of reef magnesium and calcium each second day and after each water change.

Lights on for 4 hours per day till cycle is complete then 12 to 14 hours per day.

Me and you have a VERY different way of cycling a marine tank

Me and you have a VERY different way of cycling a marine tank

Can I still do my normal fresh water tank cycle? Ie. Some live soil, a lot of plant and add fish right away ;)

Just j/k and still learning so I started with a second hand tank with old filter material and sand bed.

Need to learn and read and listen how to feed them, when to clean filter.

thanks for the tips on the light

Edited by unheatedtank

Can I still do my normal fresh water tank cycle? Ie. Some live soil, a lot of plant and add fish right away ;)

Just j/k and still learning so I started with a second hand tank with old filter material and sand bed.

Need to learn and read and listen how to feed them, when to clean filter.

thanks for the tips on the light

No mate, with fresh its mainly ammonium and with salt water its mostly ammonia, the second is far more toxic, that’s partly why marines are not as easy, sort of, as freshwater.

The get a bacterium ready for life then you need to feed it, no matter whether its aged, well used live rock or what ever, it has been disrupted so it needs to be fed so the protist and bacteria colonies, bacterium’s, expand to look after your aquarium pets or they will die!

And while these acid makers, bacteria, look after your tank, it can crash by a lot or by a little at any minute, so add basic buffers always like mag and cal.

No mate, with fresh its mainly ammonium and with salt water its mostly ammonia, the second is far more toxic, that’s partly why marines are not as easy, sort of, as freshwater.

The get a bacterium ready for life then you need to feed it, no matter whether its aged, well used live rock or what ever, it has been disrupted so it needs to be fed so the protist and bacteria colonies, bacterium’s, expand to look after your aquarium pets or they will die

And while these acid makers, bacteria, look after your tank, it can crash by a lot or by a little at any minute, so add basic buffers always like mag and cal.

Thanks, any measures I need to do before adding reef buffer?

Thanks, start reading now

I started writing down my tests (every Wednesday and Saturday until iv stopped adding coral) and it's the best thing iv done. As you would no adding more coral kh, mg,and ca will deplete quicker and whatever else you test for hence why your dosing routine will always change untill the tank has pretty much matured coral.

There are four ways to get water, buying from a shop, home delivered, self collecting, and mixing your own. You may want to consider buying reverse osmosis (RO) water for top ups to replace evaperated water. An auto top up unit or method is well worth the investment for this. If you buy water check its secific gravity or salinity and choose your target from that. It will make things a whole lot easier to run you tank at the same s.g. or salinity of your change water.

Most oceans around the world are a little variable but on adverage have a salinity of 35ppt. I tested a sample of water from off the coast at Coolum recently and it was 1.028 which is just a little above 35ppt. 35ppt equates to a s.g of 1.0264.

Thanks, this forum is awesome as usual with many experienced people.

Btw,do you know how much to deliever to Coopers Plains and fill a 200lt drum with water for me? Thanks

This i agree with.

The rest, lol, lol, go to RTAW and done, no skin off my nose, but in time it certainly will be off yours!!

Most sites are invaluable in varied ways, some make sure you will buy stuff due to failures and are telling you what's what at a high end and not from the real world but from the world according to??? certainly not me, lol, good luck with it mate..

Edited by liquidg

At the end of the day there's more than one way to keep a happy reef tank and there's plenty of mixed opinions as expected with anything. The way you do things (WhyNot) is obviously different to liquidg. So I don't understand the hostility when both are just giving there own opinions and let unheated choose what suites him

Mate you are so right and frankly I don’t know why I bother these days, I would much prefer to put o entertaining pics of which i like and not bother with reefers loosing life.

Back when I near didn’t even know how to switch on a computer, but had a hell of a lot of experience with marine life in a tank and the ocean, but to verbalise it on a screen or paper, I was hopeless and when I went on that site, eerrrrr, but now I will actually put up a link to there and my useless hands on experience and that’s the end of the discussion, that’s far easier.

I love to hear from all as I am learning.

In the end, I am a type of people who choose fish to match with my lifestyle,my skills and my easy to access water ;)

If I lost a few fish or coral along the way, so it be. But in the end, I cured quite a few upside down goldfish and ready to learn the marine. It will go up spending time and money to learn, once it reaches the peak like any other hobby, I will look for more challenge in coral and fish. So learning now is good, reading different oppinions is great as well

Thanks all

African-cichlids is so right, there is ton of ways to achieve a half reasonable marine tank, I think I have played with and stuffed up near every one of them at some stage, lol.

In late 1980 to 1981 I think it was, not sure but I met this guy at the dive shop that collected as well and got talking about trickle filters??

I had no idea what that was cause my commercial tanks and my display tanks were reverse flow air operated under gravel filter by then that worked great and were perpetually clean which is not easy with undergravels as i had learnt just before, the hard way!

Any way he knew the Latin names and a few scientific terms and i was in aw, so I copied his trickle and it was not what made sense to me and failed and failed, even though I had no idea really, so with out saying anything I worked on a slightly different direction and it worked great, his was always riddled with white spot or minor crashes and mine went on nicely.

Later on, when what I did was seen it was rubbished no end with the latin words and scientific terms by him and many years later I felt the brunt of the bullying and condemnation “some sites” enjoy when they think you know nothing.

The thing I had against using those terms from the garbage from way back was still in play, then the site of opinions and disorders actually inspired me to take them on, not great, just take them on a little so that those types couldn’t easily run something down that worked great because it was explained poorly in very laymen terms.

A long time ago when I first started, there was no help and many who but did not know, just like these days, try to make you think they do and with the right words and with many of us as sheep, you could sell to them contraception’s to a 90 year old devout catholic.

For many years, you as a reefer was just too much work to bother helping and money to me, from complete tanks and filters that I would make for shops and life that we collected, not till some years back did I even bother considering you to be anything else.

If some say this way, then do it, and another says this way, then do it, then in time and many more failures and experiments you will arrive at that spot called “knowledge”, painfully arrived at sure, but still you will be faced with sound knowledge.

So I say, go for it with what ever they tell you, in time it will work out, one way or another.