Ray805

Small scale breeding setup begins to take shape

Just thought I would show you guys the start of my little breeding setup. This is my first time attempting to breed so all tips are welcome. Ill be purchasing some electric yellows from [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION] in a few weeks and cant wait to get started.

Will be running these three fry/ grow out tanks all through 1 sump underneath ( next weekends project)

post-15790-14711633801344_thumb.jpg

Thanks to [MENTION=5332]lloydashton[/MENTION] for the tanks they are perfect.

Edited by Ray805

At least your starting with good stock can't go past [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION]s Yellows Doug has the best Yellows around that's why my Yellows are based of his lines

Yeah the photos i have seen are outstanding. I especially liked the fry i saw that already had colour! I have a female in my community tank who was holding when i got her (only spat 2 fry) they are about 2cm now with no colour at all. Granted i have no idea where they came from so could be a cross breed of sorts i dunno.

then you should feed them to the Oscars at your lfs theres enough mungral breed Africans out there as it is

awhile back I was in a shop and 1 of the display tanks had bejing sunrise in it but when you look at them straight in front of the tank they're got blueberrys dots everywhere under the yellow

Its their only con really the fact that they X-breed like dogs and cats other than that they got some of the most vibrant colours of all the freash water fish

Africans should be keep in species tanks or if mixed 1 sex to a tank

my two bobs worth

cheers paul

Thats a good point Paul, ill keep that in mind.

On another note, I just poped in and saw the guys at Age of Aquiriums. Got some awesome new gear.

post-15790-14711633857622_thumb.jpg

Picked up the awesome yellows today from [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION]. Got them in the tank then went and had a nap... like ya do... and boom! One mouth is full already!post-15790-14711633929792_thumb.jpg

post-15790-14711633929302_thumb.jpg

post-15790-14711633929546_thumb.jpg

post-15790-14711633929673_thumb.jpg

Looking pretty pro already!

One question, do you have styrofoam under the tanks?

Thanks Donny, I was going to put strofoam under them but i changed my plans a little and im going to go get some racking from bunnings in the next few weeks so i didnt bother for now.

Here is a pic of my whole setup. Im still on the hunt for some bargain 3 foot lights and im yet to clean up my nest of power cables underneath.

If you aren't doing plants then you can pick up 3ft led lights for between $90-$100 brand new. You can get some really energy efficient ones too (less than 20w). As for the rat's nest, the sooner the better, last thing you want is a power cable pulled free and you not noticing, I'm terrible for cable maintenance myself.

Yeah im more worried about a little bit of spash during water changes hitting the plugs :S hopefully will find time to sort it out tomorrow. As for the lights, yeah i have priced up a few differnt types. But its the same boat as the styrofoam once i get the new racking it could all change. I dont wanna go wasting $$$ if its going to change.

Hey Dan,

I've had them breed within a few days of settling into their new tank, but a few hours is a new record :clap2:

Just a tip for you from an aesthetic point of view, electric yellows show much better colour over a light coloured substrate, they will tend to colour down over a black substrate ;)

Cheers, Doug

Edited by DFishkeeper

I was going to change it to sand but heard its hell to keep clean. Its only black because thats all i had.

Yeah pretty stoked with your yellows Doug. Iv been looking for more mouthfuls every hour haha