liquidg

Pseudos can be made to be nice natured fish!

I haven’t kept the bicoloured dotty back in well over 20 years till early last year I think it was.

The ones I would get off the wholesalers “back before quarantine laws were in” that i dealt with were obnoxious I always found them to be a little or a lot nasty, more so for tiny creatures like shrimp and very small fish, just generally not the best natured fish, so I hadn’t kept one for many years.

Finding these guys in SEQ reef sites was extremely rare and i wouldn’t keep them, until climate change really starting kicking in with our part of the ocean from around 18 years back a little to 5 to 6 years a lot and now I see maybe 10 to 30 per year and last year I got one to get ready for a mate thinking mongrel fish!! but during that time what I had learnt about them in the 80s I remembered this and thought I would give it a try and just see!

I dropped the temp for the first little nasty I got early last year and as it was from way back, the little guy became very well behaved, so well behaved I kept it, lol!

The ones we get down here are more blue then purple, which is a little weird, but as with all my aquarium life, they act so much nicer with temps at the moment in my tanks at 18c to 19c, just for a couple of weeks down from 20c to 21c.

You can not successfully keep these fish at such low temps with out proper bio filtration and not the silly live rock rubbish bio filtering, the stress levels from live rock life emitting toxins from the shock and the cyclers acidic reactions to this in such weak numbers more then likely will kill the fish.

For me the main reason I run cool temps is cool waters keeps fish growth retarded, oxygen way up there and full adult colour at a fraction the usual size that colour happens at.

Plus from what I learnt form the guy with the imperator and importers back in the late 70s and early 80s, if done right a fish that will most likely only live 15 years can be kept for a hell of a lot longer!!!!

I have one in each tank and both are sweethearts, lol, pseudos sweet hearts, amazing!!

dotty-back-_zpsbhuh0gqx.jpg

Edited by liquidg