Mattzilla

wave makers... your experiences

've been considering adding a wave maker to my 6x2x2 discus tank to increase general waterflow in order to maximise the filtration potential of my sump filter.

I guess if there is a higher flow in the water, waste particals are more likely to get swept over into the sump and therefore filtered out of the water.

I've never used them so want some feedback. pros, cons, brands etc

also what volume pump would i get to create flow but now blow my fish all over the place.

also i like the idea of a moving head on the wave maker so that the flow is constantly moving around and not fixed in one spot

anyway, tell me what you know

thanks

matt

I use two twin 3000lph just to move water around my 6 foot. I noticed the change quite quickly. With the twin I have one jet facing the rocks so it pushes uneaten food etc out and one pushing water towards the middle to get it up and around the tank. I think they are good in a tank, only con is they are ugly af in a nice setup.

Aquael 10000lph reef circulator. You can run it at a cruisy sorta 5000lph and then crank it upto 10000lph to dislodge all the crap and get it in the sump.

Run it fast. Run it slow. Good to have the option to fine tune. But yea 10000lph really stirs up the crap nicely..... helps get debris from display into sump.

Option to decide lph really does come in handy, even if you do usually run it rather low.

Thansk guys,

I'm not planning on blowing my discus out of the water hahahaha

just wanted to add some additional current to help move crap around. With a single fixed jet there will still be plenty of low flow areas for them to rest/hide/sleep

cheers

I do not know how you have your set up but a couple of things might help - not necessarily fix but at least help.

In my old L'Number setup I use to use air bars to help lift solids and when placed under the intake it would also help with keeping debris from accumulating at the screen.

Perhaps using a spraybar may spread the water flow a little better than just as one solid mass.

Adding a duckbill vortex flow accelerator may also help.

Discus can handle a good increase in flow for a bit. They come from the amazon man. You wanted personal experience yea? Well mine is that being able to crank flow rate for a bit really gets the debris back into water column where overflows can deliver it to sump.

Its also a 6x2x2, 10000lph sounds like a lot but yea it doesnt even feel as strong as a 2000lph powerhead on ya hand. Prob worth seeing a few in action so you can convert numbers to real life performance.

Discus can handle a good increase in flow for a bit. They come from the amazon man. You wanted personal experience yea? Well mine is that being able to crank flow rate for a bit really gets the debris back into water column where overflows can deliver it to sump.

Its also a 6x2x2, 10000lph sounds like a lot but yea it doesnt even feel as strong as a 2000lph powerhead on ya hand. Prob worth seeing a few in action so you can convert numbers to real life performance.

Don, do you think this would do the trick?

Aquael Reef Circulator 10,000

A couple of questions... does the power chord go into the tank? does the head rotate automatically or is a static position of the head??

thanks

Matt