So it's been awhile since I set this tank up still growing out the rainbow cichlids that I got from the last auction they are about 4-6cm now I will be keeping 3 or 4 depending on how they behave and size wise. Will be adding 2 more female swordtails and 4 more corydoras venezuelanus next time I'm at techden.

the substrate and rocks are from the local landscape yard and cost me less that 10 bucks.

Filter is a eheim 2217 running mr Aqua noodles and eheim sponges

Sorry about the potato photos the iPad sucks. I'll have to get the slr out one day and take some half decent shots

post-11301-1471163380731_thumb.jpg

post-11301-1471163380703_thumb.jpg

So I had a outbreak of white spot a fortnight ago, so I have done 2 treatment of protozin and had the temp at 31 for a week as well as some IAL to help prevent and secondary infection and it seems to have knocked it on the head I didn't loose any fish luckily.

During the treatment a pair of rainbows has formed and are currently in breeding dress trying to spawn, there to young to get it right just yet. So this means that I now have to look at shifting 2 of them so if anyone wants 2 rainbow cichlids unsexed let me know but won't be avalible for a week or 2 to make sure all the white spot is gone.

Have some new tech in the tank thanks to AOA, I'm now running a tetra aps 100 air pump to run a single air stone, the pump is nice and quiet can't hear it in the cabinet just the sound of bubbles. Also running a ocean free surface skimmer as I was getting a lot of surface film from all the frozen foods I'm still playing with the placement of it but so far it's keeping the surface nice and clear, just have to remember to turn it off when feeding flake for a few seconds.

so i have been using wardley shrimp pellets for bottom feeders, and quite disapointed. first of on the container it says helps maintain clean water, it dosent the pellets disintergrte into a fine powder and swell to twice there original size as soon as the hit the bottem so less that 5 seconds of putting them in the tank i have a lot of smal half mm particals floating around in the water collum far from the fish im feeding so no point in feeding it to bottom feeders. the ingredients list is pretty average for shis food, with wheat millings, shrimp and fish meal being the primary ingredents.

glad i only brought the smallest tin and only to make up the eftpos minimum.

so if you see this and think about giving it a go, i give it miss.

im looking at trying new eras catfish pellets so if any one has any exsperieaance with it let me know thanks.

f8830d28eb78465e95e37de751a853ed.jpg6298557ed5dcfc1ceb22c5c9f1704047.jpg21252728d0c4751e34d921200e6163b8.jpg15a67627d34eceb3f20fc53df36a0de2.jpged8ccdfc01b09e13447617df1af16ff5.jpg

So this pair are at it again, this will be there 3rd batch of eggs. Im not raising any of the fry at current due to time and space.

Plants are a no go in this tank as the rainbow cichlids love them, hence the mulberry leaf.

Got some more corys from corymad a few weeks back, they have settled in nicely schooling around looking for food and eating the un attended eggs.

Water is cloudy because i jist did a water change and added some easy life.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

Very nice.

Heiko Bleher did a nice biotope tape with rainbow cichlids, swordtails and a few other cichlids.

thanks,

i looked at a few biotope tanks and that was the feel i was going for.

i saw some cracker swords at AOA a few weeks back that looked like what i was chasing before i gave up and brough the red ones.

im still keeping a eye out for a large twigy branch to fit in but that will be the last thing to go in this tank s i will be moving some fish around and dont want to deal with that and a net.

So the eggs got eaten last night, shocker. But because of everyone trying to breed and with the new addition of the sajica there was some minor disputes going so I have removed the other four rainbow cichlids, they are now swimming around in the fish room with some blue eye cichlids.

Now I will be adding one sajica female when I find one I like. And if I can find any will be swapping out the red and orange swordtails for a more wild type colour.

Awesome to hear. Don't reckon I've even seen a sajica here in Adelaide for nearly 10 years, used to be a fave of mine back when I was a kid and convicts were illegal here. Had a break from the hobby for 4 or so years and when I came back they had disappeared. Hope you manage to find him a little chicky babe.

post-11301-14711634268914_thumb.jpg

re scaped the tank a bit, added some green stuff.

found a fun way to feed the cories, defrost some brine shrimp and squirt it into the sand with a syringe and watch them all sniff it out and dig around. cute little buggers with there heads buried in the sand wagiling thre tails.

post-11301-14711634268672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lictoga