UnexplainedWays

Maximum water changes to solve a problem?

Firstly this is for a friend before anyone gets cranky, and yes this person is real and not made up.

A mate has setup a new tank and thrown a few fish in at once so i did a water test for him. It was the api test with the little chart, and all 3 were at least halfway down the chart.

So i did a 50% change then and there and told him to repeat once a day till fixed (and to put more filters in).

I was wondering in situations like this how often can you do changes? From memory i thought it was once a day but wanted to check incase he can do it more.

Thanks.

I have done 10 or more a day. But at these times its more about how low temp they can go. You dont want to feeze fish diluting nitrates. As to ammonia and nitrite how high and what fish. Also why are ammonia and nitrite up? Still feeding?

Always write down the results.... then maths makes it easier to work out. Tank temp and water change water temperature is good to record too. Helps decide on a % change. The fish decide how important it is too calculate the pH swing caused.

In theory you could do infinite tiny water changes all day long.

Answered with 10 questions..... but still kinda an answer?

Hi Unexplained Ways

The easiest way to understand how much water you can change in a day, really comes down to how far apart your water parameters (KH,GH,PH and TEMPERATURE) are between your new water your adding and the water left in your aquarium after draining. Yes it is bad to have poor water quality(Ammonia, Nitrite and high Nitrates). However it is also bad to have major swings in water parameters in very short periods. So as a rule of thumb people say not to change more than 50% in a day to help dilute nasties. Yet not cause major swings in parameters which lead to possible fatal shocks to aquarium inhabitants and also its beneficial bacteria.

If the water you are adding has identical water parameters and of course minus the nasties you are trying to remove through dilution. Then the water could be changed as many times as you like. A good example is that of number of aquariums, all sharing their water through one centralised sump tank. This water can be 100% exchanged many times over in a day. With no problems, due to all the aquariums sharing simular water conditions.

One other issue with large water changes where aquariums have extremely high nitrate levels. Sometimes this can cause shock in fish if it is cured too fast and is better done in a series of say 50% water changes a day, until it is lowered to acceptable levels. But I am assuming this aquarium is new and cycling. High nitrates is probably not going to be too much an issue for your friend at the moment.

Also if after you are doing water changes you are still having ammonia readings. There are a few products you can get to help detoxify ammonia, kick start bacteria and protect fish through this time. If you have a spare sponge filter or two in another already cycled tank. Put it in this tank and it will help speed up its cycle.

Cheers Carl.

Theoretically ( not taking temp into account ect) you shouldn't need filters and only changing the water to get rid of wastes.

Realistically.. who's going to do that? For a number of reasons...

If the fish get used to it, you can change 50% 4 times a day if you want. ( temp, parameters, dechlorinator ect...) but to help you.... stop feeding for a week or so. Water changes 50% once or twice a day, a bottle of bacteria- you can't overdose with it. Other filters that have been setup would b good too.

I have seen a tank setup to have a constant trickle of water out and get replenished. I'm not sure how water conditioner was added. Large water use though I believe but the setup looked nice in a purpose built fish room.

I think if I ever had a mini-cycle again, the buckets would get thrown out and I'd set up hoses to drain and fill. That would help with temp matching. Otherwise I think I would struggle to maintain tank temp with more than 2 x 50% water changes a day over winter. Summer would be ok.

Tee the hose off the cold and hot tap ?

I do this from the washing machine in winter

and W/C with warm water

That way I have no problems with a 1000+L

going in my tanks

FJ

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION]

I lent him my test kit so ic ant tell you numbers but it was closer to the bottom of the chart than the top. Fish were basic guppies, tetras etc. Since i did the tests he hasn't fed the fish.

[MENTION=12152]Cichlid Carl[/MENTION]

I've only got your basic test kit so i wouldn't know the levels of the tings you mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies. I went round tonight an amonia had dropped to the thrid from the top on the chart (API). Something interesting he did was gravel syphon into a bucket through a net and put the water back in to get rid off all the poo without having to do a major change constantly.

The filter was doing a sustainable job for the fish i gave him' date=' then he went in to the lfs fot excited and came home with a bucketload of fish. Filters are doing their job as the test results are dropping[/quote']

lol - been there. Usually talk myself out of it although the lfs has had to knock a few on the head.

If Temperature is an issue take the water warm from the laundry tap. I have a hose connection fitted to my laundry tap, for this purpose in winter. Bunnings sell em.post-3726-14711633827769_thumb.jpeg