Seno

So many questions, any help would be great, thanks :)

Hey guys, this is my first post, I have been in the reef game for a little now but always good to talk to as many people as you can i believe, any in put or experience will be great :)

questions

1, how many fish (in length) do u guys have in your tank? I know there is a lot of variables but if you have a lot then what is working for u (filter system)

2. I run ozone that is controlled by an ozone controller, I run it at 360 on my orp, what are others running theirs at?

3. My sand is dirty and it is so annoying having to turn it over all the time, what are you guys using to prevent this, is a sand sifting star an option? Apparently they die of starvation ?

4. I am currently using the "aquavitro" range which is good but a little expensive, what are u guys using for your calcium and mag ?

5 the last one is that I'm looking for a fish or something that brings something different to the tank, any suggestions? I was thinking a powder blue tang or kole tang ?

There are more loads of inexperienced opinions on this then you can shake stick at regarding this one mate, but how many fish?

As many as your bio filtration can cope with and by that I do not mean with relying on more so live rock, you are limited when using just live rock.

Lowering temps to around 22c to 24c and raising oxygen helps keep more fish.

Pick species that can get along, then more can be added if bio filter is coping easily!

I have 1 pink anemone fish, 1 latezonatus clown, 1 black ocelaris, 1 imperator, 1dotty back, 3 anthias, 1 lemon peel angel, 1 lemon peel mimick, 2 red line shrimp, 2 harlequin shrimp, 2 hinge back shrimp, 2 leandrites shrimp, 3 thor shrimp and more but I forget them, but there are heaps of corals and decorative algae along with many tube worms and so on, the tank is 2 foot by 17 inches by 16 inches and in the bottom tank that is the same size and there are more in it! My external bio filter is perpetually clean and massive!

The sky is sort of the limit if done right.

Ozone is cool if you like it, the thing that amazes me with it is that it is oxygen, actually tri-oxygen of 3 oxygen atoms instead of the 2atoms that is the make up of what we breath and the biggy, carbon dioxide it is 2 parts oxygen and one part carbon very well bonded!

I haven’t used a substrate of any kind in over 25 years bar for 4 months for my wife, a useless and harmful addition to a saltwater aquarium!

Cal and mag, I use Randy’s idea sort of, it works real well!

Tangs can have issues with such small gill plates and may get agro due to semi suffocation due to this and stress out and attract parasites.

Look at the front/mouth area of a tang/surgeon fish, the blue tang, clown tang and some others with faces that have smaller extended lips you might call it, ones like this can have this issue and they are more so omnivores not herbivores, most of the others are herbivores

The kole tangs are pretty good and the chronixis and maybe a zebrasoma of some kind, though sale fins are iffy.

For every person that says don't use sand there is another saying it's fine if done right.

Same goes for stocking levels, types/brands of dosing chemicals etc.

I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to marine but I have done alot of reading and researching.

I have found if you read 10 peoples experiences and tank journals 8 of them will be doing something different to each other.

How old is the tank? If it's a new setup then the stage of brown diatoms on the sand is pretty unavoidable, it just happens but it will stop.

Also when I first started with a nano years ago I would use tap water and never got rid of the brown algae on the sand, since using ro water the problem is under control.

I don't know about ozone as i don't use it.

Stocking levels are all different depending on your bio filtration. I would suggest to slowly add fish one at a time and see how the tank handles it by testing and recording parameters.

Cheers mick

Thanks mate,

I don't hav many fish atm but don't want to much of a bio load, I'm using marine pure if anyone else has had any experience with it?

So your saying I should just keep turning it over once a week ? :( haha

I have worked out what my tank uses, looking into a cheap and good doser if at all possible, water changes was so 10years ago reactors are the way to go.

Edited by Seno

My tank is about 6 months old the sand goes a green colour and then a bit of a mix up and it is white again for a couple of days

Pictures of sand?

Prefer calc in liquid or powder? Red sea powders are good and priced well at 1kg

I would like liquid because I was going to buy a doser? And suggestions ?

Thanks

Hi Seno and welcome to the forum.

You may like to visit MASA or RTAW too.

Reefing The Australian Way Forums • Index page

RTAW Reefpedia

If your asking how many fish you can keep than there is a chance you already have enough.

I ran my ozone at the bottom of the ORP scale and had the output turned down low too.

Sand will 'weather' or get dirty over time. I never had any success using critters to keep it clean.

I'm using an Aquavitro product in my planted tank, it's a product range produced by Seachem. I used Seachems Reef Advantage Calcium and Reef Buffer as they are lab grade balanced products. Reef Advantage Calcium contains magnesium, my magnesium levels where always maintained by using that and water changes. I assume you have your alkalinity under control. It's not really enough just to test and correct, it's best to work out your daily or weekly usage and keep your calcium and alkalinity stable at your target range.

Also is the reef advantage a powder or liquid?

My orp sits at about 360 but some people run in the 400's my water is clear and doesn't smell so I think the ozone is working at this level but want the most out of if because I spent the money on it

All good advice yet sadly you are being directed else where so I will as well, if you want to visit else where as I assume you have visited some sites already?

Go to the best on the planet which is- [Mod edit - links]

The world is a tiny place due to the internet so doing something the aus way is redundant and these guys on reef central get it first and will treat you well if you wish to go else where.

If you are going with the reactor style containing both mech and bio filtration of which I hope you do as I first found this style a huge space saving advantage a very long time ago, then making one or multiples your self is simplistic!

Just with the equivalent to the bio aspect of this style of mech filtration like nitra guard and or bio pellets or what ever, you can make your own, just find the best suited bio degradable polymer and I use a mix of carbonised/burnt, lol, varied GI rated carbs I buy from the supermarket for mine, that works best I have found.

Plus this semi solid type of carbon dosing you might call if used in conjunction with maybe some GFO and possibly carbon, it needs to have quite well oxygenated water to function really well, so put it first.

Now I use my home made reactor/container and it works great as they always do if set up well, but you need to realise that these takes out partly what is in your water at the stages of inorganic, this means orthophosphate, phosphorus, silica and nitrate to a degree, before that your bio system has to be able to handle the cycle to that starts from dead tissue.

If mostly just corals just then live rock is cool and as your fish/crustacean load increases so does the need for your bio filtration to handle it all.

A skimmer will complement everything, but don’t rely on it overly or in years to come, read these words and imagine I put in, I told you so, lol.

Good luck.

Edited by gingerbeer

[MENTION=3166]liquidg[/MENTION] said

"All good advice yet sadly you are being directed else where so I will as well"

Why is this a sad situation?

Why not visit as many other sites as possible to read other opinions?

The 2Litre continuum ones are good value.

Any chance we can see some water test data. Algae is just natures sponge soaking up some nutrient..... test data might shed some light on what one.

All my tests are good. Everyones sand gets dirty i was just wondering how u guys get around it. I like simple. For me pulling some sand out cleaning it and putting it back in just isnt my thing. I think the doser is better then a reactor price wise. And i dont really have the room for one. Even bigger tanks and going back to dosers because they are easy and work well.

To a better topic. What are some cool fish u guys have. That are reef save and not going to cost $3736362 haha. Has any one had any luck keeping a purple tang and yelliw tang in a 340l tank ?

I can't really help with fish selection other to say that I like the use of 'layers' a couple of individual fish and a few small schools of the same species.

At 340l I doubt you'll need a calc. reactor or dosing pumps. I had 600L and for the most, just tipped my dry 2 part measures direct to the sump. I didn't really use that much to warrant the use of a calcium reactor or dosing pumps although towards the end I ran a calc reactor just because I could. The best bit of kit you can get is an auto top up and you can dose one of your additives via this.

Yer true. Sounds good. I just think a doser would be easy ? Just work our how much my tank uses then dose that over a week period then all i do is test it and make sure the dosage is the right ammount ?

What kind of school fish you suggest ? I got told anthias need to be fed more then 2 times a day. Which i cant do due to work (dont want an auto feeder, i like feeding them haha)

thanks

All my tests are good. Everyones sand gets dirty i was just wondering how u guys get around it. I like simple. For me pulling some sand out cleaning it and putting it back in just isnt my thing. I think the doser is better then a reactor price wise. And i dont really have the room for one. Even bigger tanks and going back to dosers because they are easy and work well.

I only asked as its handy to have people look over data.

I only asked as its handy to have people look over data.

I have been using api test kits, and using the salifert test kit for my iodine but it is really bad to use, anything out there that is easier to use?

Ph 8.3

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Kh 9

Phosphate 0

Calcium 450-480 was 460 last test

Magnesium 1440

Temp is set to 27

No phos and temp 27c? Interesting, i assume this tank has very little life in it and with that cal reading the cycle is a little while back now?

How are you dealing with phos to zero if life is present or maybe the API kit is the reason!

Edited by liquidg

No phos and temp 27c? Interesting, i assume this tank has very little life in it and with that cal reading the cycle is a little while back now?

How are you dealing with phos to zero if life is present or maybe the API kit is the reason!

I know it is hard to see if 0 or .25 it's in between so prob like 0.1, as for the water temp I did my own research on water temps and I personally believe that 27 is fine even 28 all my corals and everything seem fine at this temp I have tried 26 and 25 and I can't see any difference, yer tank is 6months old/new haha. I use a Red Sea product to keep my nitrate and phosphate down. What phosphate does your tank run at?

'I just think a doser would be easy?'

Yeh, maybe. Don't know how long the silicone tubes last and for the mucking around to make up solutions and ensure it doesn't run dry it's probably easier just to through in a weekly dry dose or mix it in a little RO and through it in. I do like a bit of automation and technology but in the end it's what ever is the easiest. You can always get a dosing pump later.

'Just work our how much my tank uses then dose that over a week period then all i do is test it and make sure the dosage is the right ammount?'

Yeh, that's it. After a couple of weeks you'll probably be able to string your tests out to monthly. It's a real good idea to keep records.

'What kind of school fish you suggest ? I got told anthias need to be fed more then 2 times a day. Which i cant do due to work (dont want an auto feeder, i like feeding them haha)

thanks'

Again, I'm not the best person to ask about fish selection, it's never really been my thing, I've always just gone with what's available and the LFS's recommendation. Maybe a school cardinals? I had a small school of blue and yellow things that were meant to be very peaceful but they were not quite as peaceful as I would have liked.

All very good points, thank you, automation is my job and I think it's really cool, might just get another tang and see how that goes haha,