pony-tail

Breeding unpopular or difficult to sell fish .

I am currently breeding Rhadinocentrus Ornatus ( Snapper ck) .

I am breeding these because I like them but I have about 100 fry to grow out already , which is more than I need .

That said , I really do not want to see the other little ones get picked off one by one ( plus if they happen to do it while my Disability Grandson is watching he freaks out and gets upset )

I have no wish to sell them as feeders or anything like that ( I have Crimson spots that every summer I put down in my hornwort tank who's population doubles every 3 or 4 months that the only Interest I have had is as feeders )

Rainbows are not feeders !

So the dilemma pull the fry or let them get eaten ?

What do others on here do with there offspring of unpopular species ?

I wonder if these fish are found elsewhere in QLD river systems and what their populations are like? and if there is a way to find out? Perhaps they could be released back into the system if you have too many? Just a thought...

I have some little Australian native I bought on the Gold coast at the Nerang Petbarn sold as a feeder fish.15 for $3..they look like a rainbow of some kind...but smaller with that double dorsal fin which is red, body is silver....not to use as a feeder but because I was curious to see what they look like when grown up more....I have often thought about returning them to the wild...Nerang river...but I am not 100% sure if that is where they came from...therefore I have just kept them.

I wonder if these fish are found elsewhere in QLD river systems and what their populations are like? and if there is a way to find out? Perhaps they could be released back into the system if you have too many? Just a thought...

I have some little Australian native I bought on the Gold coast at the Nerang Petbarn sold as a feeder fish.15 for $3..they look like a rainbow of some kind...but smaller with that double dorsal fin which is red, body is silver....not to use as a feeder but because I was curious to see what they look like when grown up more....I have often thought about returning them to the wild...Nerang river...but I am not 100% sure if that is where they came from...therefore I have just kept them.

Unfortunately releasing them back into the wild is illegal ( it has disease risks for the wild stock ).

Your feeders sound like either Firetail gudgeon or Carp gudgeon

pony-tail, if you are on facebook join the 'Rainbowfish Australia' group and sell them on there :) They should sell reasonably well I think? I personally really like Rhads and got some Teewah Creek variety recently. Favourite rainbow for me too.

Unfortunately releasing them back into the wild is illegal ( it has disease risks for the wild stock ).

Your feeders sound like either Firetail gudgeon or Carp gudgeon

I kind of wondered about that as well..disease...looks like there staying at my place then....thanks for identification of the fish..did a google search..mine are firetails.

Simple Pony Tail. Take your offspring along to an ANGFA meeting, sell them there, there will always be a market for good Rhads amongst the ANGFA crew. Anyone that uses Rainbows as feeders should be feed to the fishes themselves. I find Rainbows far easier to sell than American Cichlids do and way easier to breed and raise. My Bribie Island Rhads and Lennox Heads Rhads are currently breeding. The Lennox I am happy to give away or trade, but the Bribies I am trying too get a good amount of bloodstock up to sell as they are a stunning and hard to get variety.

pony-tail, if you are on facebook join the 'Rainbowfish Australia' group and sell them on there :) They should sell reasonably well I think? I personally really like Rhads and got some Teewah Creek variety recently. Favourite rainbow for me too.

I do not have facebook - fb is just pure evil !

Simple Pony Tail. Take your offspring along to an ANGFA meeting, sell them there, there will always be a market for good Rhads amongst the ANGFA crew. Anyone that uses Rainbows as feeders should be feed to the fishes themselves. I find Rainbows far easier to sell than American Cichlids do and way easier to breed and raise. My Bribie Island Rhads and Lennox Heads Rhads are currently breeding. The Lennox I am happy to give away or trade, but the Bribies I am trying too get a good amount of bloodstock up to sell as they are a stunning and hard to get variety.

What do the "bribie" ones look like ?

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] in addition to the ANGFA suggestion of [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION] - these fish are really not a species I'd ever term "unpopular". I'd be surprised if any wholesaler or indeed retailer with a market for natives would knock them back provided they are quality fish offered at a sellable size for a reasonable price. If I was still in Brisbane I'd have no problem taking a few hundred at a time. I'd suggest ringing around local wholesalers and shops.

The problem with Rhads is very few LFS know how to display them to their best advantage. The average shop tank is bare for good reason, ease of netting. Rhads like all Rainbows like plenty of plants in their tank. Hence they get overlooked.

I wonder if these fish are found elsewhere in QLD river systems and what their populations are like? and if there is a way to find out? Perhaps they could be released back into the system if you have too many?

This really needs to be said; Australian Rainbows, Blue Eyes and Gudgeons are in serious peril due to many reasons. One major threat facing them is inbreeding between geographically different variations of the same species. Yes Rhadinocentrus (like all Rainbows) occur in a variety of habitats. Different drainage systems contain significantly distinctive populations of the same species. This can be seen with great clarity in M.s.splendida, trifasciata, douboulayi, rhads etc., etc., etc. Unknown to many it is the same with Gudgeons. There are far more Mogurnda sp., for example than what are currently recognised. As such Gudeons - indeed all natives - should really be sold under their species AND type locality. This occurs with rainbows but not Gudgeons, Blue Eyes etc., Councils in QLD have previously purchased native fish for stocking purposes (mosquito control / habitat rehabilitation given as the reason) and have then introduced variants of many species (including Rainbows) into drainage systems where the variation did not previously occur. This can result in the loss of entire geographic strains. This has happened in SEQ with douboulayi. Rhads are a very vulnerable species. It would disastrous if it happened to them. It possibly already has - I know of an aquaculture facility that was farming Rhads as a generic variety and selling them for re-stocking to councils, for dams etc. Who knows where they ended up. I shoudl also note; if keeping fish in ponds or dams the best place to get them is from a local waterway (observing regulations) so that in the event of flooding a non endemic strain is not getting into the drainage system.

The problem with Rhads is very few LFS know how to display them to their best advantage. The average shop tank is bare for good reason, ease of netting. Rhads like all Rainbows like plenty of plants in their tank. Hence they get overlooked.

If any Rhad breeders have trouble selling their PURE STRAIN fish p.m me. If you have enough fish to make it worthwhile I'll come down to Bris to pick them up - or will send a courier.

I have only just started collecting the fry ( monday ) I have 100 already .

So if I save them all the quantities would be insane .

These fish are being bred (and raised ) indoors in aquaria ( I am not allowed ponds ) so numbers will be in the one or two hundred region .

Considering I was downsizing to 1 30 inch display tank because of bad health - yeah right !

Just a note - I was getting a few fry here and there and thought little of it , until I got my new specs and found that there was hydra in the tank . Treated the hydra , and one or two here and there wound up 10 or 20 here or there .

I will keep saving the fry until I run out of space .

This really needs to be said; Australian Rainbows, Blue Eyes and Gudgeons are in serious peril due to many reasons. One major threat facing them is inbreeding between geographically different variations of the same species. Yes Rhadinocentrus (like all Rainbows) occur in a variety of habitats. Different drainage systems contain significantly distinctive populations of the same species. This can be seen with great clarity in M.s.splendida, trifasciata, douboulayi, rhads etc., etc., etc. Unknown to many it is the same with Gudgeons. There are far more Mogurnda sp., for example than what are currently recognised. As such Gudeons - indeed all natives - should really be sold under their species AND type locality. This occurs with rainbows but not Gudgeons, Blue Eyes etc., Councils in QLD have previously purchased native fish for stocking purposes (mosquito control / habitat rehabilitation given as the reason) and have then introduced variants of many species (including Rainbows) into drainage systems where the variation did not previously occur. This can result in the loss of entire geographic strains. This has happened in SEQ with douboulayi. Rhads are a very vulnerable species. It would disastrous if it happened to them. It possibly already has - I know of an aquaculture facility that was farming Rhads as a generic variety and selling them for re-stocking to councils, for dams etc. Who knows where they ended up. I shoudl also note; if keeping fish in ponds or dams the best place to get them is from a local waterway (observing regulations) so that in the event of flooding a non endemic strain is not getting into the drainage system.

Not to mention every muppet that feeds live food strips the local creeks bare because they are to cheap to by proper food for there fish.

Thanks for that. I do not know much at all regarding the state of affairs with our native species. I will be holding on to my firetails and they will eventually go into a native tank. Thanks for the heads up.

I have only just started collecting the fry ( monday ) I have 100 already .

So if I save them all the quantities would be insane .

These fish are being bred (and raised ) indoors in aquaria ( I am not allowed ponds ) so numbers will be in the one or two hundred region .

Considering I was downsizing to 1 30 inch display tank because of bad health - yeah right !

Just a note - I was getting a few fry here and there and thought little of it , until I got my new specs and found that there was hydra in the tank . Treated the hydra , and one or two here and there wound up 10 or 20 here or there .

I will keep saving the fry until I run out of space .

I would like to know how you get your Rhads to breed indoors. I only seem to get mine to breed outdoors. It doesn't help that mine are in the garage with no natural light.

I would like to know how you get your Rhads to breed indoors. I only seem to get mine to breed outdoors. It doesn't help that mine are in the garage with no natural light.

Mine are in my bedroom/computer room . they get no sunlight , but the tank is very heavily planted and has 2 led plant lights , not heated , regular waterchanges . The aquascape is ruined , I had an outbreak of cyanobacteria and started twice weekly waterchanges ( to reduce watever was causing the Cyanobacteria ) a lot of my plants were choked by the cyanobacteria and died , Hygrophillia Diformis started overgrowing everything then the fish started spawning - so I have left the tank all messed up - because every time I try to tidy up the scape they stop spawning for a few days .they seem to like it untidy and overgrown !

Edit- It was not planned , they weren't supposed to breed until August or September - Their choice not mine !

Edited by pony-tail

erythromycin usually bumps off Cyanobacteria.

I tried a commercial preparation I bought from a sponsor - did not work !

it is starting to thin out severely - anywhere the Hygrophilla is growing it disappears .

Anyway even though the tank is not looking as pretty as it should the fish are happy and not stressed .