grubby

I hope everyone is prepared for the cold weather that is headed our way.

Apparently we had a minimum of 2 degrees on a July morning last year.

It will be freakin freezing on the Downs when this cold front arrives.

[MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION]witchety Goldfish keepers will be smiling. bgomf.

When is this supposed to hit ?

Saturday night through to mon, tues, wed. Expecting 6C at night and low temps (expecting 10-14) during the day....My fish have heaters...I on the other hand go without as I cannot afford both...looks like I will be watching the cricket under a blanket.

Yeah its not quite Archangel in February, but its not warm thats for sure, especially with the wind kicking up. I suspect the worst is yet to greet us.

Townsville is pretty funny, people walking around in jackets and beanies and complaining how cold it is! I saw a guy at the lights this morning dressed like it was sub arctic conditions!

My giant pink gouramis think it's sub-antarctic conditions!

Billabong temperature has dropped to 23degC even with the heat pump doing 12hour days,

the air temperature under the blue pool cover is holding steady at 22degC.

As always, 20degC is my absolute minimum - it it hits that, then it's "General Quarters" / "Action Stations"

(If you are German "Alle Mann auf Gefechtsstationen")

Please... more sunshine, less chilly-ness!

Sofort, Herr Kapitänleutnant.

Actually all jokes aside, one good thing that should come out of this is that there will be less Tilapia in Forest Lake, I went out last night about 11 o'clock with my laser thermometer and was finding that the garden temp had dropped to 2 degrees. Given that we read our temp from Ipswich which apparently got down to minus 1, there is a good chance that the lake is full of dead cichlids with a bit of luck. I wonder how Gambusia cope at those temperatures.

Edited by grubby

[MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION]witchety said:

" I went out last night about 11 o'clock with my laser thermometer "

Don't you feel the cold?

You are crazyyyy!!!

Edited by mbunamad
ummmm..

there is a good chance that the lake is full of dead cichlids with a bit of luck. I wonder how Gambusia cope at those temperatures.

Gambusia and Tilapia cope better than natives when it comes to sudden, severe water temperature drops. The Tilapia go into a very still almost comatose state and Gambusia just go into the shallows as they always do where it is warmest. Rainbows and Hardyheads etc., meanwhile become prone to bacterial and fungal infections. All part of the cycle with natives but these conditions actually help the pests in a round-about sort of way..

[MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION]witchety said:

" I went out last night about 11 o'clock with my laser thermometer "

Don't you feel the cold?

You are crazyyyy!!!

Nah, this is nuthin. I lived in the Europe for 10 years, I am used to the negative temperatures. So cold your ears and nose hurt. This is hardly Fargo.

I had to pop up to the Forest Lake shops a little while ago. I was the only person walking around in a Tee shirt.

Nah, this is nuthin. I lived in the Europe for 10 years, I am used to the negative temperatures. So cold your ears and nose hurt. This is hardly Fargo.

I had to pop up to the Forest Lake shops a little while ago. I was the only person walking around in a Tee shirt.

Agreed... I'm from Manchester in the UK, lows of 5 and highs of 16 are practically summer weather!

You desperately need to see a doctor you have a problem! I have heard of frigid women but..... bgomf. :noidea: