I have 3 JDs in my 6ft community tank, 2 of which breed nearly every 3 weeks. They are sharing with (amongst other things) a 30cm gold spot Pleco, so I am not sure if they have been eating the eggs or the Pleco gets to them at night. They have managed to hatch them on one occasion but after they moved them they disappeared. They will be getting a tank of their own shortly so that should fix that problem anyway.

What I am after is info on JDs, specifically spits, EBs etc. What does this mean? And about culling the "ugly" ones from the fry. Tried to find info in the forums but didn't have much luck. I've included a couple of pics of mine, sorry about the quality but they are in the corner of the tank and hard to get at.

post-9243-14711633832412_thumb.jpg

post-9243-14711633832624_thumb.jpg

post-9243-14711633832803_thumb.jpg

post-9243-1471163383296_thumb.jpg

Electric blue is a genetic mutation that results in solid blue colour, splits refers to fish that arent solid blue but carry the gene-if neither of the fish are electric blue or confirmed splits, your chances of getting electric blue fish are one in a gajillion (roughly).

Hard to get americans to raise fry in a stocked community, they often tend to eat their fry if they get stressed, even if nobody else eats them first.

if you have confirmed splits, culling the ugly fry refers to the mutated or weak fry. ebjd are super weak and often dont make it to adult hood. but best bet is that the parents ate them. in a community tank breeding will cause them to stress an eat they fry.