mbunamad

Hot Topic Friday 10th July 2015 What will be the preferences of fishkeepers/breeders

With the rising costs of power and water will hobbiests change their preferences down the track?

I can see species such as Bettas Killifish etc being preferred because of smaller tanks and therefore lower power and water usage

I have also noticed more interest in marine fish and corals.

What are your thoughts?

PS can admin fix the title? "in the future" I cant finish it!! lol

I recon people like what they like and will always stock up until it gets to the point of to expensive then downsize to what is a manageable number. The popularity of certain things I believe always goes around in cycles and at the end of the day people will always keep what they like unless they are in it for "fashion".

I have downsized substantially - 2@ 5x2x2 gone 6@4x18x20 in the carport empty standing on their ends 2@4x18x18 in the garage ( destined for gum tree ) 3@4x18x18 empty , waiting for me to get off my a55 and derust and paint the stand .

2@4x15x15 empty in stand , using 2@4x18x18 plus all the rest 3ft and 30".

mostly unheated and basic sponge filters - partly due to trying to remove complexity and partly to reduce power .

I have also changed from breeding "tangs" to breeding Aussie Rainbows .

So I can definitely see people dropping to smaller cheaper to run Systems or single tanks .

Unfortunately - after having tried to keep just one display tank I found that the addiction was too strong in me and I am now 20 odd tanks ( if I include 5 2 footers with fry in them )

LED lighting helps a little and shows much promise . we need more efficient filtration technologies to get that part cheaper to run ,

Last power bill hit 1850. One person house hold. But I will continue to keep what I like. Still expanding. You just hope to sell a few along to help with the costs. Water is what annoys me the most..

With the rising costs of power and water will hobbiests change their preferences down the track?

I can see species such as Bettas Killifish etc being preferred because of smaller tanks and therefore lower power and water usage

What are your thoughts?

I think first and foremost, people need to understand that in general, keeping fish ( or any pet ) is a luxury. Costs will come out of your pocket after living expenses.

I see way to many people on this forum go way big to soon and then freak out when the power bill comes or need meds, food, scape supplies, etc.

I reckon if peeps put more thought into it and only bit of what they could chew from day one, we would have a lot more long term happy fish keepers. ( With more money in their pocket ) :-)

Brendan