fishfriendzzz

No more black beard - algae remover

Hi.

Does anyone know anything about No more black beard - algae remover - http://www.thetechden.com.au/No_More_Black_Beard_Algae_Remover_125ml_p/nmb125ml.htm

Unlike some of its more Excel branded contemporaries, it's contents are listed as poly- glutaraldehyde rather than just glutaraldehyde. My science speak is a little rough so google was of limited use in providing a translation of the differences. Is any body familar with them? Are there any head to head comparision BBA wise? I can't help but think that if someone is doing something diffetent to the rest, there might be a reason why. Any ideas?

Cheers.

I can't speak for the product you mention' date=' but I found glut doesn't work against BBA in my tanks. I only use Azoo Brush Magic every 6 months or so in all tanks (very heavily planted) as precautional maintenance.[/quote']

Was wondering if you find it gradually kills off BBA or just never see it? I 'sort of' have it under control but it's not very ideal.

Hi.

Does anyone know anything about No more black beard - algae remover - No More Black Beard - Algae Remover 125ml

Unlike some of its more Excel branded contemporaries, it's contents are listed as poly- glutaraldehyde rather than just glutaraldehyde. My science speak is a little rough so google was of limited use in providing a translation of the differences. Is any body familar with them? Are there any head to head comparision BBA wise? I can't help but think that if someone is doing something diffetent to the rest, there might be a reason why. Any ideas?

Cheers.

I quickly looked it up and the formula looked slightly different but not sure what that all means. I use glut (according to aPI, etc) but double-dose and find after a few weeks it seems to peg the BBA back. Doesn't go away though.

I had BBA on some anubias. I use Easy Carbo at a higher rate than what the bottle recommended and it is starting to die off. Soon it will be gone. I also incorporated this treatment with larger water changes

It is working for me

No matter would you do, you'll never get rid of algae altogether, as spores are ever present.

Given the right conditions, growth will reappear. So it's a matter of keeping it in check with

whatever works best in your tanks.

@zorba is right, some plants and mosses are sensitive to glutaraldehyde, so be aware of that.

Edited by bluebelle

I had BBA on some anubias. I use Easy Carbo at a higher rate than what the bottle recommended and it is starting to die off. Soon it will be gone. I also incorporated this treatment with larger water changes

It is working for me

Did the same on a couple of anubias i recently received. I may have overdose to much as i killed my little fish and the air lingers with a weird smell. I thought it was ok to just dump 1/4 of the contents of a litre bottle on a 2ft tank. Read the label after a day or two and it says don't overdose. my loss charged to experience.

It is true that the label on the Easy Life Carbo says do not overdose, I use it at 5 times the recommended dosage. It works for me , I have had no fish deaths and plants/mosses are doing fine and BBA is disappearing

I find you can overdose glut but I have to work up to it. Val in my tank is fine although it's meant to be sensitive to overdosing.

However one time I didn't measure and just poured into tank a guesstimate, thought that might of been a big much and later in the day lost a Molly or barb. So now have a little sheet of notes to follow for ferts dosing each night.

There are a number of gluteraldehyde products that will work, weather spot dosing or you can work out the dosing with your tank and keep in mind not all gluteraldehyde brands will contain the same amount of gluteraldehyde. The No More Black Beard does work and does a good job when used at the suggested dose. Some fish are more susceptible to higher dosages of gluteraldehyde so when you have Synodontis, Geos and Torpedo Barbs use with caution.

Thanks all.

I have to admit to having had something of a brain fart. It's been to long since I have looked at a bottle of Flourish Excel. Mine emptied long ago and i switched to cheaper options. I just dug up my old bottle. Contents: polyglutaraldehyde. Doh. Invalidated my own question. I am too used to seeing Flourish Excel, API CO2 Booster and EasyCarbo referred to by the more generic glutaraldehyde name.

As far as strength goes, i haven't being about to find definative amounts for Flourish Excel, API CO2 Booster or EasyCarbo. Their does however seem to be a bit of focus around them being 2-2.5%, with EasyCarbo possibly at the higher end. The dose rates for No more black beard are on par with EasyCarbo's.

A couple general notes on BBA after too long looking at it. Flourish Excel, EasyCarbo and No more black beard have all been shown to help with BBA, long term, under the right conditions. Most treatments people see suggesting glut based products for BBA are quick fixes with dose rates 2-3 times normal. While these sort of treatments are generally safe to plants and animals at suggested doses, at higher rates less so. Many popular aquarium plants will not tollerate it, to varying degrees. Things like shrimp, snails etc and some fish can become iffy, especially if repeated treatment are used. Moral of the story: research both your plants and animals before treating them to overdose! That aside, the reality is that while these quick fixes might kill live BBA, they don't kill the spore. It easily comes back when conditions are right.

bluebell, just be careful with Azoo Brush Magic if you have shrimp. I came across this 12-18 months ago. I was told it was shrimp, snail and everything else safe. I hunted for info online but found none. I didn't use the full length of treatment at the time for unrelated reasons. I recently tried it in another tank. By day 3 i was seeing 1 or 2 cherry shrimp bods. More on day 4. So i looked online again. There is now a note:

'It is harmful to crustaceans creatures, ex. Neocaridina denticuleta'

AKA cherry shrimp. See:

http://www.azoo-aqua.com/product-info.asp?id=235

If cherrys can't handle it, that's got to rule out anything more delicate.

Anyway, i'm going to shut up now/finally. Thanks all for your contributions! :D

I'm not sure on that one Delapool, thought it is an interesting question, particularly as UV is one of the few things that actually kills BBA spore! I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but I came across something a while ago suggesting glut, at normal dosing rates, breaks down and becomes inactive after 18-24 hours. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way to directly test the combination as glut neighor reduces pH, nor increases measurable CO2 levels the way CO2 injection does. I'm open to inspiration!