mattyk

Building a pond from sleepers...

I am planning on building an outdoor pond. I want to have it raised and for cost thinking of using treated pine sleepers and pond liner. I'm struggling to find much info into how strong sleepers are. Would a pond 3 sleepers high need bracing in the middle or anything? Plan is to use 2400x200x75mm sleepers and making the pond 2.4x1.2x0.8m, digging into the ground a little. For filter I'm thinking having a garden bed with clay balls with a constant flow flowing down through it, some plants for prettiness and also plants in the pond itself. No ideas on stocking yet, but thinking native catfish, maybe a cod and just small natives to breed in their. Also thinking of moving the turtle in to so I can free up my 6x2x2 tank for something different. Any advice, anything I'm over looking or reasons it won't work will be appreciated. Bit bored at the moment and want s new project. Thanks

Suggest punch "sleeper pond construction" into google images. There are lots where people lay the sleepers flat and stack with pins in the corners to hold it all together. I would think 3 sleepers high with 75mm thick sleepers edge on isn't going to be near strong enough.

You would be better off using old ex railway sleepers, $20 a sleeper at Bunnings, you get a better effect, more aged. If you want to see a sleeper pond done right, head down to Mappins Aquarium in Montague Road West End. They have a great example. Also a great source of Native fish at great prices. Darryl is a wealth of information and will be only to keen to give you some good advice on ponds.

Be similar bracing to making a retaining wall I would imagine, similar forces I mean. There is masses of info and plans on Internet for building them. Personally I would use them as a starting guide as the last thing I'm sure you'd want is a pond that is warping(we built a raised garden bed from a kit and it was 2400x1200x400 with corner brace and a centre brace and it warped badly over 2 years). Railway sleepers would also be better in my opinion as they are hardwood and will Be less inclined to warping.

75mm sleepers will be fine.you could get a long series auger bit and drill the corners so you can hammer a length of reo bar to lock them as an added precaution. It should not bow it's only about 2000 Lt so about 2 ton spread over all four sides. But if your worried concrete a post half way along like a retaining wall

I've built about 8 sleeper ponds that size. 50mm thick is fine. You don't need to secure to ground or layer to layer. If you are worried about flex, it won't move but you will get better results with a metal strap from middle side to middle side on the bottom layer. (Instead of staking to ground).